We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report from March-4-9

Gainesville Florida
Level Contributor
273 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
trip report from March-4-9

My husband I have recently returned from a 5 day trip to PR. We would like to thank all the people on trip advisor who gave us excellent advice from where to stay to what to do. We choose to locate our selves in Old San Juan and take day trips to other areas.

Day 1-The hotel El Convento lived up to all expectations from the great reports from TA. The hotel is charmingly old with plenty of modern conveniences. We just walked around the area to get a feel for everything. The 6-7 wine and cheese get together remained the highlight of the hotel each and every evening.

Day 2-The rains came in our first day which does make a huge difference on your overall experience. But we forged ahead and went out with our walking tour guide David. David is recommended by the hotel and a total delight. He provided us great information about the history of the area. Even with the rain we had a good feel for the area.

We then headed for our Bio-bay. This is where we first learned that might have been better off having a few days in Farjodo instead of driving back and forth. It rained all the way there and all the way back-this didn't help.

The Bio-bay trip by Kayaking Tours however did make up for the "driving through rain during 5pm traffic jam". The tour company was very professional, answered all our questions before we headed out and made everyone feel relaxed. And it helped that it stopped raining too.

Since there are only a few places on earth to have the bio-bay experience we highly recommend it. It felt like getting to have stars in my own hands.

Day 3-The rains had stopped but the clouds remained but that was no big deal since we were headed to the rain forest for the day. Turns out that the rainforest was the first place we didn't have rain since we had been in PR.

The rainforest is a must do while in PR. We climbed up the tower and then did another hike to the waterfall. I know several others have suggested swimming in the waterfall and if you are properly prepared with water shoes etc.. you will be fine. But several people told us while we were there that it can be very dangerous.

Day 4-It was time to take a day off from all the driving so we stayed in OSJ all day. Each day we started with breakfast at La Bombadire. It is an old fashion (very New York City like) cafe. The food is good and the prices very reasonable. Our favorite lunch stop is Sam's El Patio. A pleasant atmosphere, very light and attentive waiters. A little pricey but we found that true all over the city.

We started from one end of OSJ to the other looking up and down the brick lined streets. We visited both forts and I loved all the vistas from each watch tower. Finally we had total sunshine but it was now extremely windy. Be sure to bring good walking shoes for the day in OSJ because it is quite the hike. It is well worth exploring the graveyard near El Morro.

We ate that night at The Brewery down by the docks and it was an excellent meal.

Day 5-We were supossed to go sailing all day but the winds did not allow for it. Instead we headed straight to the caves. Very impressive cave set up and excellent care for safety. You ride a "disney" like tram down the the cave level. Then a guide takes you around the cave itself. It is well lit and very interesting.

The afternoon was spent in search of a great beach. I must admit I think I am spoiled from living in Florida and having beautiful white sand beaches. We failed to find anything that was close to a gorgeous beach. I am sure if we kept on heading west all the way to Rincon we would have found one.

Our last dinner in OSJ was at Puerto Rico Cafe. It was good and the best part was a seranading guitar player during our meal.

I am a huge cat lover and discovering that San Juan has a cat santuary where they take care of the cats by feeding them and having them fixed.

I would be happy to answer any questions about the trip or offer suggestions. Hope everyone enjoys their stay in PR as much as we did.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report from March-4-9

Nice report! Thank You. Glad you enjoyed PR. As far as the beaches. The sand come from the local area. Being PR is the last of the greater antillies the beaches are mostly from the mountain run off. As soon as you head just a little East, the Cays, Vieques and Culebra you get the coral beaches, Whit sand etc. Also the north coast has the constant tradewinds off of the atlantic, which makes it rough. The southern coast is the leeward side and much calmer. Rincon is on the southern side of a point so it can be calm. But the beaches are still not the white sand.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report from March-4-9

Excellent report! Thanks for taking the time to write and post it. Glad you like Patio de Sam -- one of our favorite lunch spots in OSJ, too.

3. Re: trip report from March-4-9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 21:20