We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay Isla Verde or Old San Juan

travelfun
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay Isla Verde or Old San Juan

Hi guys,

A group of us are heading to Puerto Rico Memorial Day weekend. We're in our mid 20's and are trying to figure out where the best place to stay at is. I've heard Old San Juan can be fun for younger adults as well as Isla Verde. We'd like to stay at whichever place is closest in comparison to South Beach (Ocean, Collins area). You know, restaurants, bars, stores along the beach, etc. We don't want to stay anywhere where we'd have to walk or catch a cab to get to the a local restaurant or fun daytime bar. I hear Old San Juan has more to offer as far as daytime bars, restaurants, activities goes. It's about a 15 minute cab ride from either place, but they said it can cost about $25. I'd rather spend that on a better hotel closer to a better place.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!!!!

travelfun
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay Isla Verde or Old San Juan

I'd also like to mention that we definitely are looking for the best nightlife as well as the daytime parties! LOL ...

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay Isla Verde or Old San Juan

Well Old San Juan is the old walled city. Yes lots to do as far as bars etc. But no Beach. If you want the beach then it is isle verde. Another thing to remember is that you can bring whatever you like on to the beach. Fill a cooler with your favorite beverages from the grocery across the street and Ice from the hotel. No need to pay bar prices. Than at night the hot club is at the El San Juan in Isle Verde. You can always hop the bus to Old San Juan. Also concider renting a car. THen you are free to do whatever you want.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
699 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay Isla Verde or Old San Juan

Just returned from our spring break trip to Isla Verde. El San Juan is the hot spot at night, but if I was going back, I would try to find a hotel in Condado with a nice beach. Condado has many many stores, shops, restaurants, bars, etc, that are not affiliated with hotels. VERY walkable - think Palm Beach type environment - not quite as fancy as Palm Beach, but definitely designed with the pedestrian in mind. No so Isla Verde - it is more like the north end of ocean city maryland - large hotels shoulder to shoulder on a pretty beach. We had a car, so it was no problem, but without wheels, you're pretty much stuck with hotel restaurants in Isla Verde - And I got tired of paying $6/can of beer. The above poster is right on - take a soft side cooler with you and go to the grocery store for your supplies.

4. Re: Where to stay Isla Verde or Old San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2009, 11:17
5. Re: Where to stay Isla Verde or Old San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 06:39