We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good restaurant between airport and El Yunque

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
616 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
good restaurant between airport and El Yunque

Our flight is coming in to SJU around 4:00 on a Thursday and we'll be heading towards El Yunque where we will spend the night at The Rainforest Inn. I'm looking for suggestions for a great place to eat for our first night in Puerto Rico. Any ideas? We like Seafood and would love to try some great Puerto Rican cuisine. What's a good place between the airport and El Yunque?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good restaurant between airport and El Yunque

For seafood and PR cuisine, you can head to Pinones (right outside the airport).

It is on the water, so it is a nice way to start vacation. I like Waterfront restaurant.

If you want really good and really inexpensive PR food (but not seafood), try El Verde bar and restaurant. Located just at the bottom of the hill from Rainforest Inn, when your turn off RT 3 onto Rt 186. Cafeteria style, it has outdoor seating, but it is right on the roadside. We live right by there too, so we usually get it to go, and eat it at home.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
616 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good restaurant between airport and El Yunque

Is Waterfront the name of a restaurant? Or do you just mean on the Waterfront? That one sounds perfect for a first night dinner, and the other for lunch the next day!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good restaurant between airport and El Yunque

That is the restaurant name. But there are a few other nice sit down places along the boardwalk at the beginning of RT 187.

Enjoy!

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good restaurant between airport and El Yunque

I second Flowerfarm rec.

You may also want to check Soleil in Pinones and for a more formal seafood dinner, La Atlantica or Miro´s in Isla Verde.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
616 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good restaurant between airport and El Yunque

I'm looking at an on-line map and my directions to get to the Rainforest Inn. My directions have us traveling on routes 3 and then 66 but I see that we could also get there by taking route 187 and hugging the coast. Is that how we would find the Waterfront restaurant, or do we just go on route 66 and then hang a left at 187? Which way would make more sense?

Ah, I see that the area closer to the airport is labeled the Pinones, so that must be the area, yes? I don't mind us going a different way, but I don't want to be totally lost. Can I assume that the area I'm looking for is between the airport and Loiza?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: good restaurant between airport and El Yunque

Yes. You are correct.

Upon exiting the SJU airport, take the first exit for Route 26 west (oeste) and then a quick right-hand exit for Route 187 east (este) toward Pinones. Restaurants like Soleil and Waterfront will (eventually) be on your left.

Then you can continue to follow 187 into Loiza, where you'll pick up Road 188 south (sur) that will take you back to Route 3 (right by WalMart). Then you'll continue east (este) on Route 3 until you make a right onto Road 186.

Here's a map that should help ... http://tinyurl.com/ckasqp

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
616 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good restaurant between airport and El Yunque

Perfect. Thanks, Ray! BTW, it's about 45 degrees outside here in PA.

8. Re: good restaurant between airport and El Yunque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 17:24