We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Juan Bautista Festivities

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
San Juan Bautista Festivities

I'm planning to go to San Juan this June from 24th (Wednesday) to 28th (Sunday) just because we wanted to be there both during weekdays and weekend (we're only going for 5 days). But if we arrive on the 24th, are we going to miss all the good activities/festivities they'll have for San Juan Bautista day? When do the festivities start/stop this year and which 5 days of that week would you recommend us go?? (I wanted to include the weekend just because I think there would be more things going on on weekends, but don't know if that's necessarily true).

Thanks!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Juan Bautista Festivities

As far as I know, you will miss it... The walking backwards into the water and parties happen all leading up to the day of his birth...So the 23rd is the night!

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Juan Bautista Festivities

So if I can only go for 5 days, do you think I should go M-F (22nd - 26th) to catch the parties but miss the weekend or W-Sunday (24th - 28th) to catch the weekend but miss the parties?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Juan Bautista Festivities

You may be mixing the San Sebastian Festival in San Juan with the San Juan Bautista Night.

In June we just have that one night, which is known as La Noche de San Juan (Saint John's Night), and that is the night we jump into the ocean at midnight backwards.

That night in particular, hotels will have parties and at the different beaches (mostly in San Juan) there will be stages set up, vendors, music, and tons of people.

The San Sebastian Festival on the other hand is in January (third weekend, from Thursday to Sunday). This is Puerto Rico's Mardi Gras/Carnival and its a non stop party of music, colors, dancing, and drinking for four days non stop.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Juan Bautista Festivities

Oh, thanks!

"...parties happen all leading up to the day of his birth...", so I thought there were parties for several days until the Night of San Juan.

So when exactly is this year's La Noche de San Juan?? I thought it was the 24th of June, but one reply said 23rd....

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Juan Bautista Festivities

The "main" activity is walking into the water backwards at midnight. So on the 23rd, there is usually a party atmosphere and live music etc on the beaches This is on the 23rd... then at midnight, everyone dips and it is the 24th (his actual birthday).

It is not usually a multi day event.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Juan Bautista Festivities

Gotcha! Thanks!

Now if I have to choose between being there on the 23rd and on the weekend, which one would you recommend? Will I miss out a lot if I go during the week and miss the weekend? Are there more tours (more types/more hours to choose from) during weekends than weekdays?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Juan Bautista Festivities

Tours will run regularly, just call and make a reservation, I doubt they vary much if it's the week or weekend.

If you want to take part of the San Juan Night Tradition, be here for the 23rd.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Juan Bautista Festivities

Thank you!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Juan Bautista Festivities

I just got the new Que Pasa mag.

It says there will be something happening on the 23rd at Plaza Ventana al Mar in Condado, Escambrom beach, and Ocean Park at the Ultimo Trolley Beach

No real specifics yet.

San Juan
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: San Juan Bautista Festivities

There's always something happening at those places either way. Ocean Park is ridiculously packed until 3am+ in La Noche de San Juan.