We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bio Bay Tour!

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bio Bay Tour!

Which is the best and why?

Borincano Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Hacienda La Esperanza
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
J Star Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Day Trips
Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bio Bay Tour!

You main decision points are

* kayak or ride in a boat

* Laguna Grande in Fajardo or Mosquito Bay on Vieques

If you're staying on the "big island" of Puerto Rico, your options are kayaking in Laguna Grande or an excursion that takes you from Fajardo to Vieques (and back again) in the same evening, in which case you'll go into Mosquito Bay on an electric pontoon boat. There's also a walking tour that takes you inside the nature reserve where the biobay is located.

If you're staying on Vieques, you're options are kayaking or the electric pontoon boat in Mosquito Bay.

The rest of my post will assume you're staying on the "big island" (since you posted in this forum and not in the Vieques forum) ...

All of the following is from personal experience as we've done each of these tours multiple times.

Mosquito Bay is brighter than Laguna Grande because (1) it's healthier (it has a higher concentration of dinoflagellates) and (2) there is less ambient light (i.e. light pollution) around the bay.

Swimming is still allowed in Mosquito Bay. It is forbidden in Laguna Grande.

I would vote for the East Island Excursion to Vieques as my "favorite".

It departs from Fajardo around 5pm and returns to Fajardo around 11pm. In between, you get rum drinks, dinner and the trip into Mosquito Bay on an electric pontoon boat. And you get to swim.

Going on the pontoon boat is just easier than kayaking and gives a "more pleasant" experience.

But the cost is $109 (including all described above).

There are a number of operators who run kayaking trips into Laguna Grande in Fajardo ... all are basically the same. Personally, we prefer Kayaking Puerto Rico, but have also heard positive reviews of Las Tortugas Adventures and Yokahu Kayak Trips.

Prices for kayaking in Fajardo vary by operator by are in the $45/person range.

The walking tour is good for people who can't kayak and don't want to spend the money to go to Vieques. Cost is $20/person.

Here are some links into our vacation planner that give detailed descriptions and contact info for different operators ...

* East Island trip to Mosquito Bay - puertoricodaytrips.com/eastwind-vieques-biob…

* kayaking in Laguna Grande - www.puertoricodaytrips.com/fajardo-bio-bay/

* walking tour inside of nature reserve - puertoricodaytrips.com/las-cabezas-bio-bay-w…

And don't forget to make sure the moon will be favorable the night you want to go ... www.puertoricodaytrips.com/biobay-and-moon/

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Grande
Laguna Grande
51 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bio Bay Tour!

Thanks we are staying in Aibinito.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bio Bay Tour!

Yikes! Aibonito is not really conducive to visit the biobay.

Mentioned in this post
Aibonito
Aibonito
Puerto Rico
Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bio Bay Tour!

Why we war going all over the island?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bio Bay Tour!

Only that it's at least 2 hours between Aibonito and Fajardo.

Mentioned in this post
Aibonito
Aibonito
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bio Bay Tour!

Why so long its not that far?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bio Bay Tour!

Never judge driving time by distance in PR! Here are some reasons why real PR driving times don't match miles/Google maps driving estimates:

PR's LOVE their cars and are always in them- lots of traffic.

Aibonito is up in the mountains. It has small, twisty, turning roads, with low speed limits until you get to the highway.

We have a crazy rush "hour" which is about 3 hrs every morning/afternoon going into SJ/out of SJ. The highways can slow to a crawl. You need to time your trips to avoid this (rt 30 is horrible in the am and pm).

RT 52 is having road construction now, so lanes are closed (further up going toward SJ).

I checked Google directions and they say:

Driving directions to Aibonito, Puerto Rico

117 km – about 1 hour 37 mins

ps- Aibonito is beautiful, but not really near anything. It not not a usual tourist destination...I would ask the management of where you are staying their time estimates for places you want to visit before planning to much.

Mentioned in this post
Aibonito
Aibonito
Puerto Rico
Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Bio Bay Tour!

I understand as I have visited before and that was why we selected Aibonito. (Maybe I will learn to spell it before I leave)

We have a week, a good GPS and am looking forward to seeing the beautiful country. Thank you so much for your help and if I can ever return the favor....

Preston

Mentioned in this post
Aibonito
Aibonito
Puerto Rico
9. Re: Best Bio Bay Tour!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 05:19