We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip for securing luggage in hotel rooms

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
137 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Tip for securing luggage in hotel rooms

While planning for my upcoming trip I found (in the luggage section at K-Mart) some little plastic luggage "locks." I think they are intended to be placed on your suitcase before you check your luggage at the airport, but can be cut off if security wants to open your bag. It occurred to me though, that these would be a great way to keep hotel workers from looking through your luggage when you're not in your room. Just place one on your suitcase before you leave the room and you can cut it off when you get back. Then use a new one the next day. Plastic zip-ties would probably work just as well. It's not going to keep anyone out if they are really set on stealing your stuff. They'll just cut it off. But you would know that they'd done it. I never take anything when I travel that I think anyone would want to steal so I've never had a problem. But I think this would stop the casual "glancing through the luggage just to see if these people have anything worth stealing." Maybe I'm behind the times and everyone else has already thought of this. I just thought it was a neat idea.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip for securing luggage in hotel rooms

You can also BUY suitcase locks that are TSA approved.

Lock them as you would have in the past and if TSA needs to open them they will have special key / combination to open them.

chicagoland
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip for securing luggage in hotel rooms

I just bought these locks, So you can use them and they can get in (security) if they need to?

I hate not locking up my stuff.

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
137 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip for securing luggage in hotel rooms

Yes, you can use them on your flight. If security wants in your bag, they will cut the lock off. But then it won't be on your bag for the rest of the trip. When they cut them off though, they do put a notice inside your bag so that you know it was security that searched your bag and not just some airport "thief." I even found the slip of paper saying it had been searched by security once when it wasn't locked at all.

Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
620 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip for securing luggage in hotel rooms

I usually put an extra lock on my keyring when traveling. IF, one of your locks is cut, you have an extra one to lock your luggage in the hotel. Never needed it tho.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip for securing luggage in hotel rooms

If you buy the TSA locks, they don't cut them off, they just open them if they want to check your luggage. Many times I find notes saying they inspected our luggage, but the locks on back on and locked when I get my luggage upon arrival.

I never use anything but the TSA locks anymore for that reason.

But you could use those in the hotel if you really wanted to lock up your luggage every time you leave. No One would be able to look into your suitcases then.

6. Re: Tip for securing luggage in hotel rooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2009, 07:20