We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rican Monster?

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
137 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Rican Monster?

I'm sure you'll all think this is a bizarre travel question but... My nutty dad is into stories of UFO's, alien abductions, and "monster lore"--you know, like the Arkansas swamp creature, NJ Devil, Bigfoot. He even took me the WV Mothman festival a few years ago. Now he says that there is a story about one of these sorts of "creatures" being in Puerto Rico but he can't remember what it is called. I'm sure I will be expected to bring back photographic evidence of its existence! (Or at least a t-shirt professing its existence). Has anyone ever heard of this? What's the story and do you know where I can buy my Dad some souveneirs?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Rican Monster?

There are lots of stories of UFO sightings and abductions in El Yunque.

Lajas has a lot of UFO lore. They were even considering building a "UFO landing strip" with tax money!

And there's the Chupacabra (literally "goat sucker") which is our version of Big Foot - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra - The mayor of Canovanas still (?) leads search parties looking for this thing.

You can find "National Inquirer-type" newspapers in some of the local stores that are all about this stuff. Check the magazine stands in some of the small pharmacies.

** I don't believe any of this stuff. Just answering the question.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Rican Monster?

On the way up to El Yunque you will see on the side of the road one of those big boards you stick your head in for pictures.

On this thing they've drawn El Chupacabras. Your dad might get a kick out of a picture of you with the Chupacabras.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Rican Monster?

If anyone has access to the COAST-TO-COAST AM OVERNIGHT (most popular overnight national radio program in the US) radio program archives, on April 29th they spent over an hour discussing all the paranormal and other so-called strange things that happen in Puerto Rico.

There was talk about the chupacabra and strange basketball size orbs that appear in people's home and talk to them! They also talked about how to avoid the chupacabra attack is you see it (see lullabys and walk backwards facing it!). And that Campamento Santiago is the new "Area 51" of the US military.

I found it very entertaining anyway! LOL!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Rican Monster?

Sorry -- SING lullabys...

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,141 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Rican Monster?

Making a T-shirt with the Chupacabra is a grest idea !!!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Rican Monster?

Bunny, I want one!!

And don't forget to take a ride on the Ruta Extraterrestre 303 (Extraterrestrial Route) 303 if down in Lajas!!

…flickr.com/3081/2551584775_97956ae888.jpg

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Rican Monster?

LOL Here's a link to where YOU can BUY the El Chupacabra T-Shirt :)

zazzle.com/el_chupacabra_shirt-2352796115169…

ENJOY .. MsDoDa

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
137 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Rican Monster?

Oh my Gosh!!! It really does exist! Well, okay, in somebody's mind anyway...

Thanks so much! Can't wait to find the place where I can have my picture taken with the creature. And I think I'll go to your t-shirt link and order some stuff right now before I even leave on my trip so that I don't have to worry about finding such stuff once I get there.

Guess I'll have to brush up on my lullabys...I haven't had a baby in the house for 20 years. I don't think I can even remember any. How much trouble will I be in if I sing something "Bridge Over Troubled Water" instead? That's sort of slow and soothing, right?

So does this thing eat you or just suck your blood? And is it suppose to live in El Yunque?

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
137 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Rican Monster?

Oh yeah, and where is Lajas? I'm going from Luquillo/El Yunque to Guanica (via the coast road) to Utuado to San Juan. Will I be anywhere near it?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Rican Monster?

Somehow I think they expect a Spanish lullaby!!

Lajas is not far from Guanica -- it's in the SW corner of Puerto Rico between and around Guanica and Cabo Rojo.

Have a great trip!!!

As to the shirts, thanks for the link Ms. Doda! I really want one that also shows Puerto Rico on it... Anyone know about those? (Or did I miss one on the link? -- noticed a lot of choices...)