We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PR in October: Best beaches?/Safety concerns

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
PR in October: Best beaches?/Safety concerns

Hello to all! Group of 8 thinking of going to PR in mid October. Looking for the best beaches, with that caribbean blue water, good to play in, not necesarily rough or big waves. Is the south or SW the best area for that type of beach? Was looking at the Rio Mar in the north, however, the beach doesn't look swimmable (although pretty) and read a thread about the neighborhood surrounding the resort as not so safe, we have people who are long distance runners who like to go for long runs in the a.m. Any help is appreciated.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PR in October: Best beaches?/Safety concerns

Jaguaris,

Have you thought about Vieques or Culebra? They offer the prettiest beaches in PR, calm days, great food, snorkeling and long roads for a run!

The other option is the SW, Guánica or Rincón. but Rincón tends to be rougher (better for surfing). In Guánica you can take day trips to Gilligan's (islet). Depending on the ages (if its a young crowd) there is also the Condado area were you can go to Ocean Park Beach with a long (no-palms) beach were many of the young ones go in their weekends.

The beach in Rio Mar is definitely not the best, but you will be close to Luquillo Beach (need a car).

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PR in October: Best beaches?/Safety concerns

Thanks. Haven'tdone alot of research on the otherislands, we would be flying in to San Juan. What is the best way to get to either of the islands? Ferry or puddle jumper plane?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PR in October: Best beaches?/Safety concerns

The beach at Rio Mar is dangerous, actually, it is labeled a "dangerous beach" and therefore the govt permitted the resort to restrict public access to it. It has strong undertow and October is a tough month. Also, the thread is right, you should not go jogging outside the resort, the resort is very safe inside and there is planty of space to jog/run inside. It is hilly in areas. You get better beaches at Isla Verde than the one at Rio Mar, but there are some beaches which are great near Rio Mar. The SW has THE best beaches in the big island of PR with all kinds of conditions, from calm to surfing. The south does not have the nicest beaches, although they are the calmest.

dizzo1
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PR in October: Best beaches?/Safety concerns

Hello Jaquaris , I love Culabra it has awsome beaches , some of the best in the carrib ( flemenco), and great snokling ( Carlos Risario), if you go there you have to get a boat to take you to see see culabrita , the night life is very low key , there are a few places to stay , if you want a peiceful vacation then go to the out islands , I would suggest that you go to Rincon , a town that was put on the map with the coming of the 1968 world chapmionship of surfing , yes it does have some ruff waters , but it also has some very calm waters ( tres palmas reserve )houses here you can rent right on the beach ( island west properties)Rincon website ( I love rincon.com) from here you can get to some great small towns Aguda,Aguadilla, or Cumuy cave system , Arecibo radio teliscope , and bio bay in parguera, all within 45 min . from rincon you can get a boat ride to Desecheo , a small island( taino divers )to get a unforgetable snorkle or dive experiance , Rincon is fun , enjoy Puerto rico

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PR in October: Best beaches?/Safety concerns

I think I missed the post about the area outside the Rio Mar being unsafe..... The only thing I could find was one Rio Mar review that mentioned there were BARS on the windows of the houses in the area.

Bars on the windows is not an indication of the safety of an area.

I believe the area around Rio Mar is fine safety-wise. Crime against tourists is very low in PR.

If you are just looking for places to run and blue water beaches, then head to Culebra or Vieques.

But if want to do other things- like visit OSJ or El Yunque, then you need to look on the NE.

Rincon is nice also beach-wise.

San Juan
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: PR in October: Best beaches?/Safety concerns

I have an apartment in Rio Mar. The area outside is absolutely fine but as was mentioned it's basicually hillside so it's not runner friendly. However the resort is HUGE with plenty of space so there's no reason why you would want to go running outside either way.

The beaches do sometimes have big waves so if you dont want that you're better off somewhere else.

If you want a "carribean beach" then you should go to the south since that's where the Carribean Sea is. It's a typical misconseption but all the beaches to the north are part of the Atlantic Ocean not the Carribean Sea.

7. Re: PR in October: Best beaches?/Safety concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 07:17