We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Puerto Rico

New York
2 posts
Save Topic
8 days in Puerto Rico

Hi. I'm visiting Puerto Rico with 4 girlfriends in January for the first time and I need advise on the must see destinations there. We'd like to veg out in a nice hotel for about 3-4 days and then rent a car/flight and explore the surroundings for the next 4 days. We're in our fourties and want some night life at least for part of the trip, as well as some not too touristy destinations so we can see the real Puerto Rico.

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Puerto Rico

Hi Prato. For the "not touristy" part of PR, you should consider staying at one of the guest houses on the east side of the island. Several of them are right near or bordering the rainforest and will give you the opportunity to explore things on this side of the island such as Luquillo beach, the famous food kiosks, El Yunque,the biobay in Fajardo, along with many great snorkeling day trips.

Guest houses are usually tucked into a quiet neighborhood so you will be immersed in the local culture.

astoria, ny
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Puerto Rico

hey prato - for nightlife you should go to san juan/ old san juan for a couple of days . . . for less touristy areas - definitely go to either Rincon or Vieques . . . they are not big for nightlife (although there is some, more casual, on a much SMALLER scale) but EXCELLENT if you love the outdoors (hiking, kayaking, biking) & more secluded beaches. Rincon is about 3 1/2 hr drive from san juan and for Vieques you can either fly there in about 1/2 hr or take the ferry from Fajardo (about 1 hr drive from SJ and then 1 hr ferry ride) . . .

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in Puerto Rico

Thanks Zaney and Pigirl 67. You're confirming my reasearch and that makes me feel a bit better about going there... I looked at so many other Caribbean destinations and hadn't come up with an island that can offer both seclusion, interesting natural resources, as well as some entertainment, nightlife and safety when traveling around in a car. Puerto Rico seems to fit the bill. At least I hope so!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
314 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days in Puerto Rico

Be sure to check out Rincon...http://www.rincon.org http://rinconpr.com, beautiful beaches, fantastic surf, cute beachside bars, with cuter surfers! It's only a 2 hour drive from the San Juan Airport, there are lot's of options for lodging, January is high season so make reservations early!

astoria, ny
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days in Puerto Rico

you can also check out www.enchanted-isle.com for vieques info.