We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe place for a family to stay?

NJ
Level Contributor
396 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Safe place for a family to stay?

We're considering a trip to PR in July. I google'd a bit and saw some intriguing websites about Aquatika, but these forums have since scared me off. My kids are 6 and 8 and love splashing around in pools/beaches. Which places would you recommend? We would like to spend some time in El Yunque and Old San Juan -- but the kids would probably most like the water. Would it be better to spend a few days on the main island and then a few days on Culebrea (or Vieques) -- or just take a ferry over for a day? Thanks for your help.

USA
Level Contributor
168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe place for a family to stay?

Most places would be safe for a family. San Juan is like any big city, in that there are always areas to avoid. Aquatika is the most controversial place discussed in this forum.

Do you want a hotel or a condo? Do you want city? Some of the nice beaches have rough ocean. Would that work for you?

In Old San Juan your kids might like exploring the forts. While El Morro has nicer views, San Cristobal is (in the opinion of my children) more fun to explore.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe place for a family to stay?

The first thing that must be decided is the location. San Juan is very metropolitan and busy like any other big city. Isla Verde and Condado are very safe touristic areas in San Juan. The east, west and south areas are more relaxed.

The east is where El Yunque and Luquillo beach are located, about 45 minutes east of San Juan. The west has very nice beaches, Rincon is located there, about 3 hours west of San Juan. The south is where Ponce is located, about 1.5 hours from San Juan.

To help you decide, please give more information regarding the activities that you enjoy so that we can offer some options. Do you prefer to be on the beach or near it? Are nice pools a must? Do wish to be near most of the touristic areas and/or the airport? Do you prefer a hotel/restort, or a condo? Do you plan to rent a car?

:)

3. Re: Safe place for a family to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2010, 05:18