We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Vacatoin

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Vacatoin

We will be in Puerto Rico from December 23-30. We will be staying in Ocean Park. I want to visit Flamenco Beach. I would like recommendations on how we should get to Culebra. I was thinking of flying, but my partner is afraid of flying on small planes. I heard that the ferry can be an unpleasant experience. Do you think the ferry would be crowded on Monday, December 28? the other option that I have looked into is taking a catamaran excursion to the island. I was told that they spend 1 1/2 - 2 hours at the beach. What do you suggest to do?

Secondly, are there any special holiday events going on at this time (Christmas market, lighted decorations, etc.)?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Vacatoin

I've done the East Island Excursion trip to Culebra for snorkeling and a stop at Flamenco beach. Great trip, Will do it again. The nice part on top of the beach is the snorkelling. A living reef with last of fish. Luis Pena Nature preserve.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Vacatoin

Old San Juan will be full of lighted decorations. Also Guaynabo & Caguas Municipios. Churches will have Xmas decorations and Plaza las Americas will be beautifuly decorates. There will be public activities & xmas concerts in many places.

I don't think the ferry will be crowded on a MOnday, but the sea during december might be a little rough, so, be prepared to get wet!

If taking the catamaran, make sure that they'll be open for bussiness on the selected date AND make reservations early (NOW) because they are always very busy.

If the sea is rough, they won't make the trip to Culebra and stay around the cays and smaller islands.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Vacatoin

We took the trip with East Island a few years ago and the seas were too rough to go to Culebra. I think we may have gone to Flamenco (honestly forget), but we had a great time. East Island actually gave everyone a partial credit for the trip because we couldn't actually visit the planned destination.

I was impressed with how everyhting was handled and you'll have a great time.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Vacatoin

I used to be terrified of small planes, too, so I can understand; however, over the years I have discovered that a lot of places I want to see require that small plane and I have also learned that usually small planes are much safer than large aircraft (gliding range, etc.). My doctor prescribed some anti-anxiety meds that I took for several years before realizing I was no longer afraid. I have flown Flamenco Air from Isla Grande to Culebra and highly recommend it- the flight is very short and you are low enough to really see something which I have discovered gives you something else to focus on (enjoying the view)- it is hard to weigh the drive to Fajardo and the ferry ride against a 20 minute or so small plane flight to Culebra- perhaps your friend will have a change of heart? Have a great trip!!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Vacatoin

Well, you have gotten all your bases covered (none of which may be great). You need to decide which of the possible ways will work for you:

Either fly in a small plane. Can be scary, but it is quick. Depending where you start out from, can be $.

Take the ferry, which can be unpleasant 9or not), but it is CHEAP!. But you need to get there early, which means getting up really early from Ocean Park).

Book the East Wind trip, which may change at the last minute and go elsewhere if weather conditions aren't favorable.

Not much else to add. The choice is yours to make. How much money and/or time are you willing to spend for a possible less than perfect transportation option?

6. Re: Christmas Vacatoin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 06:20