We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area should we stay?

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
441 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
What area should we stay?

Where to Stay?

I’m not familiar with Puerto Rico and need some help.

Our company paid reward trip is at El Conquistador Resort in Puerto Rico from May 2nd - May 6th, 2010. We would like to spend a few days before or a few days after, on our own. We would like to be on the beach in a condo or hotel/small resort. We don’t need to be near much of a night life and would actually prefer it to be a quiet spot. It would be nice if there was at least a store nearby for necessities, etc. Some shopping would be nice for DW, but not that important. We really don’t want to be too awful far from the El Conquistador for when we move, 30 to 45 mi max? I guess the beach is most important and we only need that to relax on. I’m not looking for a specific condo/hotel, but what area to look at and then I’ll find the condo/hotel.

We don’t plan on doing any touring around, but should we be renting a car to get around?

Thanks,

nsalphadog

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area should we stay?

Well, beach places about 30-45 mins from El Con- look into places like

Fajardo, Luquillo, or San Juan (Isla Verde/Condado etc).

Since you don't want to tour (and the El Con part is a free trip, so I assume meals included), only rent a car if your next place is outside of SJ.

If you stay in SJ, you can take taxis or buses (or walk) to other beach areas close by.

If you decide on outside of SJ, it would be best to rent a car (to get to restauarants etc).

Rio Grande
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What area should we stay?

Suggest Luquillo Sunrise or check out places on lodgings page of elyunque.com I am local and not commercial oriented.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area should we stay?

Hi

I say go to Vieques for a few days.

if you go to

http://www.enchanted-isle.com/

where you can check out thier rental page for beach homes to rent or use the real estate link to check out RS pages with rentals.

I am quite sure Vieques is everythign you are looking for.

it is a short plane ride from the san juan airport.

and the el conquistador is an even shorter plane ride and taxi from Vieques.

Vieques has lots of beautiful beaches that are desserted most of the time.

it also has the bio bay.

do some research and keep an open mind.

vieques is magic and you will never recover

stoughton,ma
Level Contributor
255 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area should we stay?

we stayed at the luquillo sunrise inn last year and loved it. quiet residential area, beach across the street, small and intimate, to die for breakfasts all at a reasonable price.

steve

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
441 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area should we stay?

Thanks for the help, I will start checking out Vieques, although DW is not a fan of the small planes, lol.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
441 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area should we stay?

Ok....no decision on where to stay yet.

Here's what I have so far. We won't arrive until 10:35pm on April 27th and if decide to stay on Puerto Rico, I think we may stay in the Luquillo area.

If we decide to go to Vieques, we'll just stay at the Airport Best Western for the night and then fly to Vieques the next morning. That only gives us 4 nights in Vieques and then we'll take the ferry to Fajardo on May 2nd. Is that enough time on Vieques? How much time will we waste flying to Vieques on the morning of the 28th? Should we just stay in Puerto Rico?

If we go to Vieques, we're looking at Bravos by the Sea, Casa Ladera or Ababor Suites. There are three of us (1 couple and 1 friend) requiring two bedrooms.

Comments or suggestions please.

7. Re: What area should we stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2010, 05:15