We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute questions - car, ferry, day tours etc.

Maine
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute questions - car, ferry, day tours etc.

My family of four with two teens is traveling to San Juan from Dec 28 through Jan 1 and will be staying in the Condado area. We would like to visit old san juan, zipline in the rainforest, snorkel, visit Flamenco Beach and celebrate new years.

We need some guidance on:

Should we rent a car?

How early should we get to the ferry for Vieques?

Should we plan our zipline and snorkel day trips now before we get there?

Any good recomendations of restaurants for new years and should we reserve ahead of time?

All advice welcome! Thank you!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute questions - car, ferry, day tours etc.

Yes Reserve NOW! It's the busiest time of the year and they may already be booked. Flameco Beach is on Culebra not Vieques. East Island Excursions runs a Snorkeling trip out to Culebra with a stop at Flamenco. Why not combine the 2. Having a car is great. You can drive to where you need to go rather than paying transportation fees. It also allows you eash access to Grocery Stores and Shops. There are parking structures in Old Sna Juan as well as parking at Fort San Cristobal. Any of the resort hotels have nice restaurants and you should reserve early. Where are you staying in the Condado. We can offer suggestions.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute questions - car, ferry, day tours etc.

I just called around for car rental for that week. Almost everybody is already out of cars. I found a compact at Enterprise for $ 55 a day

Maine
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute questions - car, ferry, day tours etc.

I was afraid that we are late in planning. Thank you for the clarification on Flamenco. Should I book the day tours through the hotel?

We are staying at the Marriott Stellaris.

Maine
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute questions - car, ferry, day tours etc.

We thought about booking through Enterprise also. They have an office on Ashford near our hotel so we thought we might just rent a car for a couple of days. Guess I should call today. $55 a day seems steep.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute questions - car, ferry, day tours etc.

Supply and demand. Lots of demand, little supply. You can book your tours directly.

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
737 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute questions - car, ferry, day tours etc.

Try Charlies car rental in san juan though they may be booked as well. I used them before-very nice folk, good car etc. and it should be around 30 or so

7. Re: Last minute questions - car, ferry, day tours etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2010, 05:17