We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private drivers in Puerto Rico

boston
1 post
Save Topic
private drivers in Puerto Rico

My family of 4 is going to PR in Feb and staying at the Hilton Caribe. We are interested in hiring a driver to take us to the Rain Forest, hiking there to waterfalls, the beaches in the NE area , perhaps the bioluminescent bay. Has anyone done this? How did you find someone? Is it less expensive than the formal excursions that run from the hotel? Or should we rent a car ourselves and go it on our own? Should car rentals, booking a driver, or the excursions be booked in advance? Or can we do it when we get there?

Thanks!

New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: private drivers in Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico is big with lots to see and do - I suggest rent a car for yourself and go on your own. If you have a GPS at home take it to PR. The car rental affords you to go and stop as you please - we stopped at some wonderful beaches we found along the way.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: private drivers in Puerto Rico

Hi Inq, I drove around PR on my first trip back in 96. No problems especially if you are used to driving in Boston. I believe that there is a rental car office right at the Caribe Hilton so you only need rent on the days you are going out of town. Take public transportation or taxis around town, especially at night.

Edited: 18 January 2010, 21:45
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: private drivers in Puerto Rico

Definitely rent a car. I have no idea how much a driver would cost, but I'm assuming it would be quite expensive. It's no big deal driving in PR (as already stated), esp if you are used to Boston driving.

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: private drivers in Puerto Rico

If you are renting a car, do it at the airport. It saves on the cab to and from the airport.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: private drivers in Puerto Rico

The less expensive option will be renting a car. If you hire a driver, most of the times the charge is per hour and the transportation services are considered a private tour.

Good luck.

6. Re: private drivers in Puerto Rico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 08:17