We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dengue fever

Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
dengue fever

My husband just read an article about dengue fever being prevalent in Puerto Rico. We will be there from 1/30 - 2/6. I haven't seen any recent postings on TA about dengue fever, so I was wondering if it's a problem at this time of year.

New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dengue fever

We were just there the first week in Jan and traveled all over the island - NEVER once did we see or hear of people being sick from Denue Fever or from Swine Flu or anything else.

Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dengue fever

PRKittyNewYork:

Thanks. Did you have a good trip? What did you enjoy the most?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dengue fever

Denque fever if prevelant in all of the Carib. It is found in most tropic and subtropic zone. Mosquitoes spread it. As long as you use a good repellent you are fine. There are mosquitos in PR. Although I have never had a problem with mosquitoe bites. Sand fleas are what seem to get me. You would think they would be bad up in the rain forst, but thye are not. The Coqui and lizards do a good job of keeping them down. Also there is not that much standing water for long periods to breed them. The rivers and streams are moving and when it does rain the puddles evaporate rather quickly. Don't worry to much about it. Enjoy your trip.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,200 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dengue fever

I was there for almost 3 weeks in December and never saw or heard of anybody being sick from the dengue fever. The only fever at the time displayed symptoms of severe cravings for roasted pig, pasteles and rice with pigeon peas. Many were treated with coquito and high doses of the craved foods. :)

The fever usually attacks during the hurricane season due to the high levels of humidity and rain. Puddles and other sources of still water, which house the dengue mosquito, are more more common during that time of the year.

New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: dengue fever

I had a FABULOUS first trip and can't wait to return!

I enjoyed every moment of it - most of all visting the more local villages.

I also found the Astomy Center more interesting then expected.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dengue fever

Dengue is all over the caribbean and the tropics, not much you can do but keep your house free from containers that contain water or plants that can serve as water containers, that is where they breed.

It is part of living in the caribbean as much as tornados, spring allergies or snow storms can be business as usual in other parts of the world.

Their active season is summer, but there are cases year round, the mosquitos like to be indoors and are more active during the late afternoon early evening hours,

Edited: 20 January 2010, 19:00
Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dengue fever

PR_Bob, paris7002 & CoquiPR:

Thanks for the information about dengue fever - that will help us.

PRKittyNewYork:

I'm glad you enjoyed it & thanks for suggesting the Ariceibo Observatory (that's been on my "maybe" list).

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dengue fever

Not to be a kill joy, but yes, we have dengue and yes , it was be a bit of a problem in 2009 (more hemorrhagic cases than usual). 2007 was our last epidemic. Just like everything, until it is an epidemic, you will not hear people talking about it. This year, we have had the wettest January in a long time, so I expect there will be more cases than usual for this time of year.

Here are the reports for dengue in PR for the last few years, and so far this year: salud.gov.pr/Datos/VDengue/Pages/default.aspx

Now, that being said..... PR has 4 million people living here and another huge number of visitors.... so chances that you are going to be one of the few people that will get it are REALLY small. So don't worry about it, use a good bug spray and I bet you will be fine.

Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dengue fever

FlowerFarm:

Thanks for the realistic report & the link.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dengue fever

There are 2 types of Dengue, the most common is the one that gives you fever and some body ache, the least common and the one that requires medical supervision is the hemorragic type of dengue (same symptoms as common but with painful abdominal pain, stomach and digestion problems once the fever, which can last days, has gone or fadding).

Edited: 20 January 2010, 19:34