We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Itinerary?

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Itinerary?

We just booked plane tix leaving this Sat. night for 11 days and we are thinking of the following. Would appreciate comments and suggestions.

May 1, 2: Condado, Radisson Hotel (need very late arrival)

May 3: Drive Ruta Panoramica, stay in Utuado or Maracao??? Or Ponce?

May 4,5 Guanica- Copamarina Beach Resort or Mary Lee's By the Sea

May 6,7 Rincon - Lazy Parrot or Villa Cofresi????

May 8,9,10 Fajardo- Passion Fruit B & B

OR

May 1,2 Condado Radisson

May 3, 4, 5 Guanica Copamarina- late arrival spending first day in mountains

May 6, 7 Rincon Lazy Parrot or Villa Cofresi

May 8,9,10 Fajardo Passion Fruit B & B

We are not beach sitters but we love to snorkel, drive backroads, explore beaches and towns.

How does this sound/

Thanks for quick reply since I need to make bookings ASAP

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Itinerary?

Wow- you are a late planner! But it sounds like you will get a nice overview of PR.

I think I would go with plan 2, since I hate checking in and out of hotels. But if you are big on mountain roads,maybe you would like to stay in a Parador, so you can continue on the mountain roads the next day. Check out Adjuntas or Juyuya also.

To me, I can do about 3-4 hrs of those mountain roads, and then I am "over" it. 20 miles/hr gets you no where fast! But it is beautiful.

Lazy Parrot is inland (not on the water),Villa Confresi is waterfront. Both nice places to hang out, can't say anything about the rooms, but the bar area/food were good.

While in Fajardo, catch the ferry over to Culebra for a snorkel day. And make sure you get a BioBay in.

Have fun!

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Itinerary?

Thanks for the opinion of an expert. We tend to like windy mountain roads and exploring towns and villages so I suspect that we would probably enjoy driving in the cordillera. Friends have suggested that it is an authentic view of Puerto Rico that makes up part of hte picture and that it will help that we speak spanish fairly well.

I wish we could make that decision regarding whether or not to stay in a parador during that day rather than having to commit in advance to a reservation and to an arrival in Guanica but it appears that not all paradors and hotels and B&Bs would have someone there to call or to take a last minute arrival. What do you think about keeping that one night flexible? Is that foolish or possible?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Itinerary?

I read your post and re-read it, and unless I'm missing something, -asides from day 3- I really don't see any difference between the 2 itineraries.

As far as lodging, I would recommend making reservations.

Both itineraries look good to me. Go for it!

Edited: 28 April 2010, 16:06
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Itinerary?

Since you like driving the little roads and want "real" experiences, stay in a Parador. It will not have the amenities of CopaMarina, but it will give you an idea of more natural PR.

I would also book ahead of time, or at least call and see if they have someone available for late check in and if they have availability.

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Itinerary?

Instead of staying in a parador, we will start out very early from Condado and have arranged for late check in at Copamarina....giving us the entire day into evening to explore the towns of the Cordillera. Somehow the ratings on most of the paradors were very iffy on trip advisor and there were many complaints about mosquitoes. Other paradors have many up and down cabins which is not great for new knees... so we opted for the long day of driving and exploring and will wind up at night in Copamarina.

Yes the two itineraries were quite similiar but we eventually opted for 4 hotels instead of 5. We are totally confirmed for all nights now, have a car reserved, and I have spoken to some snorkel boat companies to put that together when we arrive. Yes, it was rushed to get it all done in a few days...but possible, delightful to get away, and a lovely treat.

Thanks for the advice.

6. Re: Last Minute Itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2010, 06:22