We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report from 9/13-9/19...kind of long

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report from 9/13-9/19...kind of long

Finally finding a minute to sit down and pay forward all of the info that was passed on to me through this forum.

We are a family of 4, my husband, myself, daughter 28 and son 23. This was our first visit to Puerto Rico and we had a fantastic vacation! We flew nonstop from LAX, last minute plans, could have found much cheaper flights but chose to splurge on nonstop, redeye.

We arrived Sunday morning, easy access to car rentals, Enterprise small SUV. We first stopped at a market in Isla Verde, Pueblo to get some supplies and then headed off to Humacao and Palmas del Mar. We chose a house, which was beautiful. Signs are tricky, exits come up very quick, but we made our way pretty easily.

Day 1 in Palmas del Mar we had lunch at the Beach Club and checked it out. For dinner in PDM, we weren't thrilled with our choices and then came upon Tapas Bar, part of Chez Daniel. It was on the marina, nice atmosphere, we could even see the Lakers on the bar TV. We figured we had read so much about Chez Daniel that this had to be an awesome first dinner...wrong! It was the worse meal of our trip. Our food was not good, one exception was a rice dish that is very popular, but everything else was really not good. Our server was not friendly or attentive.

Day 2, we did the hike to waterfall Mina at El Junque, took a dip and then some driving around checking out some beaches. We had lunch in Luquillo at Kioskos, La Parilla. It was an excellent meal, we all tried something different and each one was great. Deserts fabulous! Very pricey though, but after our meal the previous night, we didn't mind. That eve we enjoyed our house and pool.

Day 3, we stayed in PDM checked out hotel and beaches and that eve drove to Fajardo to catch a 5pm

East Island Excursion catamaran to the Vieques bio-bay. What an adventure, loved all of it. It included dinner too and was really amazing. The crew, Chris especially, made our trip. It was a good way to get a taste of Vieques too. We also wanted to see Flamenco Beach in Culebra, so

Day 4, we did another East Island Excursion, snorkeling catamaran to Culebra. The sea was rough on this one on the way out, several people were sick, but the crew had lots of help and took great care of those in need. Once there it was beautiful and a wonderful day, they put out an excellent lunch too. Great day on a gorgeous beach.

Day 5, was a day in OSJ. Parked at a large parking structure near cruise area and did lots of walking. Walked both forts, shopping and lunch at the Parrot Club, which was good. We checked out Isla Verde, Condado, Carolina and ended back at Luquillo kioskos for dinner at another kiosk which name I can't think of right now, it was very good though.

Day 6, we relaxed poolside, went into Humacao for some looking around and had dinner at Pasion por el Fogan, in Fajardo. It was amazing, food was excellent, the very friendly chef comes out to talk to tables and tells them to write on trip advisor! Great dinner, expensive.

Day 6 was spent getting back home from a really nice vacation.

We really thought it was a safe place, we were happy with our decision to stay in PDM, it was much prettier than Isla Verde and Luquillo, IMO. I think a few days in OSJ would have been fun though, its a great old city. I wish we would have had more time in Vieques and Culebra, but so glad we got to see what we did. We felt that eating was more expensive than we thought it would be, but mostly we enjoyed our meals.

I would be happy to answer any questions...I'm tired and know I'm forgetting lots!

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report from 9/13-9/19...kind of long

Almost forgot...we hardly had any rain at all! A few sprinkles here and there and then the day we were leaving it rained all morning long. We got real lucky!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report from 9/13-9/19...kind of long

Sounds like you had a good time.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report from 9/13-9/19...kind of long

Thanks for sharing! You did a lot for the short visit. I am glad you enjoyed yourselves.

Try to remember the name of the other kiosks (since it was good, they could use the plug- times are tough!). And if you have time, write TA reviews of the places you used/restaurants, it is really helpful for others.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report from 9/13-9/19...kind of long

Nice review, you sure packed in a lot :o) I've heard good things about Pasion por el Fogan also, just need to get over to Fajardo some time soon

5. Re: Trip Report from 9/13-9/19...kind of long

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 07:42