We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rico vs. Key West

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Rico vs. Key West

New to the forum- will be happy for any help you can provide.

Our family (me, hubby, 8yr old & 5yr old) want to go somewhere warm in Jan or Feb 2011 - options are Puerto Rico or Key West. I am leaning towards Puerto Rico for the culture, tropical rainforests, beaches, and history. I can see us touring the forts, hiking in El Yunque, playing in the sand, and visiting Arecibo. We are not into the nightlife scene and prefer quiet settings. Hubby is more interested in Key West- probably because of fishing opportunities and proximity to our hometown.

Anyone been to both? What's the best option for a family with young kids? Pros & cons?

Many, many thanks!

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Key West

there really is no comparison between Puerto Rico and Key West, FL. I really do not know where to start due to the size of Puerto Rico and its different regions. You can start by checking the individual forums of Puerto Rico, for example San Juan, the capital city has a lot of options. the eastern region where the rainforest is located between Rio Grande and Luquillo and near Fajardo has a few big resorts. The western region, check the Rincon forum.

The best comparison is the island municipalities of Puerto Rico called Vieques and the other one Culebra, both located east of the mainland. There is a lot of info about these two islands in the forum.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Key West

Exactly... It is hard to compare these two places. Apart from both having a beach, there isn't much else to say.

I do think you would have more of a vacation in PR, as there is so much to do versus a place like key west that most activities are limited to the beach and when it rains you pretty much do nothing.

By the way, there is good deep sea fishing and offshore fishing in Puerto Rico! So that might help with the hubby... lol

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Key West

Oh yeah, it will be warmer in Puerto Rico also!

Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
620 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Key West

I live in Florida, and sadly, Key West, or Florida is not the same as it once was. It's now a collection of condo's, hotels, t-shirt shops, and touristy bars.

Puerto Rico on the other hand, is beautiful in every way. You can shop all day and be touristy in Old San Juan, which is deep in history, or find a secluded beach and have all to yourself for the day. A little research on here will produce some fishing charters also. Most anything you want is available. It reminds me of Florida 40 years ago, only better. For me, Puerto Rico would win it handsdown.

Cutler Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Key West

I’ve gone to both places many times over the years, and agree with the above comments. There is simply much more to do in P.R. when you are traveling with kids. On the fishing angle, Key West is more self-contained, and as such, more convenient to do. In P.R., depending on where you stay and where your husband wants to go out of, you may have to drive to one the marinas. Key West does make for a fun weekend; there is interesting history that can occupy you for a few days, and many colorful characters. But I doubt that your kids will have as many things to do; it's more of a place for adults. Beaches in KW are nothing to speak of, and they are definitely too cold for most people to swim comfortably in January/February. If you do end up going to KW, I recommend getting to the Dry Tortugas National Park for a day.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Key West

I've been to both and think PR is better for kids. I found Key West more adult oriented.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
328 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Key West

Another vote for PR. Key West is not a place for kids!

8. Re: Puerto Rico vs. Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 05:18