We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming during hurricane Igor

boston
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Swimming during hurricane Igor

I will be staying in San Juan from Wednesday to Saturday this week and wanted to try and snorkel. However, the hurricane advisories are saying the surf and rip currents could be deadly due to hurricane Igor.

Are there beaches or areas that will be less affected by the hurricane (like the southern coast)? Should I not swim at the beaches in San Juan?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming during hurricane Igor

By no means should you go swimming in San Juan or any north facing beaches. Hurricane Igor is very powerful and will be picking up the waves a lot from Wednesday to about Friday and it will be extremely dangerous.

Visit sites like www.srh.noaa.gov/sju (the National Weather Service in San Juan's site) to be sure where the warnings are up for. As far as I know, any beach that is Atlantic waters will be too dangerous to visit, but Caribbean beaches (close to shore) will be fine. For example, beaches in Cabo Rojo (Playa Sucia, Boqueron, ... ) will all be fine. But others like Ocean Park in San Juan will be very dangerous.

boston
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming during hurricane Igor

Great, thanks for the link RickyB.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming during hurricane Igor

RickyB is giving you very good advice.

4. Re: Swimming during hurricane Igor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 05:17