We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pre & post cruise itinerary help - Dec 2010

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
pre & post cruise itinerary help - Dec 2010

My husband and I are going to be in PR first time this December, we'll have 3 days before + 4 days after a cruise.

We'd like to visit surrounding areas like the rain forest, the mountain. Should we base in Old San Juan entirely OR stay in San Juan before our cruise, then Ponce after our cruise? We plan to have a rental car after the cruise. Thanks.

El Yunque Rain Forest
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Forests
La Marquesa Forest Park
Forests, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks
Guanica Dry Forest
Forests, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: pre & post cruise itinerary help - Dec 2010

Before cruise, I would stay in San Juan area, the airport is close, five to ten minutes, and you can get to the hotel right away and relax and start touring the San Juan attractions. On your way back you can stay outside of San Juan, and explore the attractions like El Yunque.

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pre & post cruise itinerary help - Dec 2010

A lot depends on how many days before and after. The rainforest is the opposite way as Ponce and is less than an hour from SJU,. As far as whether to stay in San Juan or Old San Juan, Old San Juan is one of 3 touist areas in San Juan, the others being Condado and Isle Verde (Carolina in Tripadvisor). If you are cruising out of San Juan all are 12 minutes or less from the cruise ship by taxi so proximity to the cruise ports should not be a facior. If you want history and restaurants without a beach choose Old San Juan. If you want the niceest beach with a smaller number of restaurant ckoices choose Isle Verde, If you want some beach and the most walkable area for restauants choose Condado. Let us know more of what you are looking for and you will get a lot of suggestions.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pre & post cruise itinerary help - Dec 2010

we'll have 3 days before and 4 days after the cruise. While in San Juan, we'd prefer to be around historic places (over beaches) as we'll have plenty of opportunities for beach activities during our cruise.

For the first 3 days, we're thinking about wandering around Old San Juan + take a ferry over to a nearby island + visiting the rain forest.

For the last 4 days, we'd like to visit the mountain for hiking etc ... Possibly rent a car and drive over to Ponce for a few days? Thoughts?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: pre & post cruise itinerary help - Dec 2010

I think El Yunque and Old San Juan...will be good for the first 3 days, the visiting of the island, I presume Culebra or Vieques, might be to much. Maybe you may want to do that on your way back from the cruise.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pre & post cruise itinerary help - Dec 2010

Ponce may work for you as a home base, as long as you are ok with some driving.

I get confused with the city of Ponce itself for exploring. I used the city tour and then also did some private driving to see some sites in town. A car is totally necessary. It is much more spread out than OSJ.

In that area: Tibes, Toro Negro forest, Hacienda Buena Vista (or other coffee plantations), Guanica's dry forest.

6. Re: pre & post cruise itinerary help - Dec 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 05:15