We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What areas to stay in for 1st PR visit?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
What areas to stay in for 1st PR visit?

So i'll be in PR for 9 days / 8 nights in early April and want to stay in more than 1 part of the country/visit as many parts of it that would be worth seeing on a 1st trip.

San Juan/ Rincon seem to be the obvious choices, would anyone have any reccommendations as to places that may not be so obvious, but are still worth looking into for whatever reason?

We're still trying to keep this as a beach vacation, but do not shy away from roads that are sometimes less traveled.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advancE!

virginia beach, va
Level Contributor
121 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What areas to stay in for 1st PR visit?

What a great opportunity for you. I can only speak to the San Juan area but I'm sure you'd also enjoy the rainforest, and Bio Bay. Hopefully others, more familiar with non San Juan sites will respond to you.

I have a complete love affair with Old San Juan. I would suggest you check out Caleta 64 (there are plenty of write-ups here on Trip Advisor) and their website is www.caleta64.com. It is a small apartment building (4) and it was amazing staying there. It puts you in the heart of the old city just an easy walk to everything. It's a fantastic location - near the free trolley, shopping, restaurants and smack dab in the middle of the history.

Check out their site an well as places to eat - La Bombonera, El Jibararito, La Barrachina. Websites like gotopuertorico.com will provide you with a walking tour. But do yourself a favor -- take the free trolley to the top and walk down. The streets going up are a killer. Send me an email if you'd like further info on the location - shopping, points of interest, etc.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What areas to stay in for 1st PR visit?

Most populara reas in San Juan are Condado and Isla Verde. I personally like the Isla Verde area better because the beach is far superior. Another very popular area not to be missed is the east coast of the Island. This is where many adventurous activities area at. You can find in thsi area the biobay lagoon, El Yunque Forest, watefalls, zip lining, as well as the ferry dock where for only $4 roundtrip you can go to the islands of Vieques and Culebra. Good areas to stay on the east coast are in the towns of Rio Grande and Luquillo.

Vacation rental apartments are good options for lodging. You can check them out here: vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…puerto-rico

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
498 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What areas to stay in for 1st PR visit?

As far as the south/ west coasts your two best bets are Rincon and Guanica for relaxing beach hotels. Not sure what your budget is like but in Rincon, the Horned Dorset is probably the nicest hotel. In Guanica, Copamarina Is really the only choice. Both are great hotels with great facilities. Just know that the sea on the West Coast can be choppy sometimes which is why it is such a frequented area by surfers. Waves will never be an issue at Copamarina and they also have a spa and diving and snorkeling facilities.

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What areas to stay in for 1st PR visit?

For your stay in Rincon have a look at:

www.rincon.org

www.rinconpr.com

"Horned Dorset is probably the nicest hotel"

That all determends on Your Personal Choice........Very much the Most Expencivie Hotel in Rincon. In rincon you will find Hotels/Small Inns/Guest Houses/Rooms for rent. Prices from $79.50-$500.00 per night. This all depends on what you are looking for. Here in Rincon, we do Not have ANY "Chain" Resturants or "Chain" Hotels, all are Family owned...Even The Horned Dorset .Rincon also dose Not have any "Stop Lights"........ We are a small "Beach town" with aloy to due, with alot of Relaxing Beaches.

boston
Level Contributor
562 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What areas to stay in for 1st PR visit?

We just returned from 8 days on PR and did exactly what it sounds like you want to do. Rented a car in San Juan and drove everywhere. We headed West toward Rincon to start. Two days there with driving to Isabella and Aquadilla. Then headed south for stops at some really nice beaches (bahia salinas for one), drove through Guanica and on to Ponce where we stayed one night at the Hilton. The beach there is a black beach, with some good waves and is fine if you are a strong swimmer. We left Ponce and stopped here and there for food by the side of the road (and some Medalla!), then by accident ended up in Palmas Del Mar. Not normally the kind of place I like but we got a condo for a great price and stayed for a couple days. Really nice beach there too, but again, be a confident swimmer. We headed up to Fajardo and Loquillo after that stopping here and there. Last night we pricelined a room in San Juan and stayed at the Caribe Hilton for $100. Not bad at all. Next time I may spend the entire time in the Rincon area. Really cool, laid back, great beaches, terrific people. Good luck!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What areas to stay in for 1st PR visit?

Split your stay on both sides. While you in San Juan, drive to Fajardo for a day trip and take the ferry to Culebra island, and chill at Flamenco Beach, rated among the best even worldwide.

7. Re: What areas to stay in for 1st PR visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 00:18