We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costco/Walmart or Ralphs Food warehouse?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
980 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
costco/Walmart or Ralphs Food warehouse?

Hi,

We are staying near the airport on arrival, then driving over to Rio Grande next day. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether we should stop for food at the Costco/Walmart or go to Ralph's Warehouse?

There's just the 2 of us, but we're staying at Sol Mar (kitchenette) and I hear the food is pretty expensive there. We will definitely hit the kiosks, everyone here has given me the "must go to" ones.

Thanks

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: costco/Walmart or Ralphs Food warehouse?

Depending what you're looking for.

Do you need go to Costco to buy in bulk?

WalMart in Canovanas (corner of Route 3 and Route 66) is a "supercenter", so it's a grocery store.

Ralph's is a grocery store.

We live here, and shop at all 3 regularly.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
980 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costco/Walmart or Ralphs Food warehouse?

Thanks Ray. I guess what I wonder is if Ralphs is more of a covenience store or a full grocery store? We really don't need bulk for this trip.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: costco/Walmart or Ralphs Food warehouse?

Ralph's is a full grocery store.

Very nice, clean and relatively new.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: costco/Walmart or Ralphs Food warehouse?

You can go to Pueblo which is near the airport in Isla Verde and opens 24 hours, Ralph in Rio Grande is fine too. Both are supermarket chains here in Puerto Rico.

Edited: 15 March 2011, 01:12
Rio Grande, Puerto...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: costco/Walmart or Ralphs Food warehouse?

you know you should do a costco closer to rio grande it will just be greattttttt

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costco/Walmart or Ralphs Food warehouse?

I would recommend the Pueblo next to the Airport as, in my opinion, it has a larger percentage of brands you would be familiar with as it caters to travelers from North America. Ralf's is a big and very nice store, but it caters more to a local market.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: costco/Walmart or Ralphs Food warehouse?

The new recently opened Ralph's in Fajardo (just by the CVS) is huge, great prices and a quite large variety of brands & fresh food articles, fruits & vegetables.

Ralph's is a local chain supermarket owned by Ralph Suarez, with about 42 stores around the island.

Edited: 23 November 2011, 12:45
8. Re: costco/Walmart or Ralphs Food warehouse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 10:20