We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Craft Beers

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,183 posts
Save Topic
Craft Beers

I know there is a Old Harbor Brewery in Old San Juan whose beers get good reviews on beer advocate.

Are their beers available in bars and restaurants all over PR including Vieques?

Are their places that serve US craft beers?

I like a good IPA that is very hoppy like the West Coast IPA's or a hoppy Pale Ale, will I be able to find IPA's in PR other than at Old Harbor?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Craft Beers

I think you will be sadly disappointed with the beer situation in PR. Most bars/restaurants have a very limited selection of beer- Medalla, Bud products, Heineken.

In OSJ, Pizza e Birra has a decent selection of beer, and La Taberna Lúpulo has like 200 types of beers.

Some supermarkets have a selection of imported beers, and a few IPOs, but don't get your hopes up. And they are not cheap (lots of taxes).

I don't know if they still make it out West, but they used to make India, which was a PA.

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Craft Beers

There is also Old Harbor Brewery in Old San Juan not sure how many / type they make there and also not sure what non Old Harbor Brewery beers they sell but worth checking out

Rio Grande, Puerto...
Level Contributor
290 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Craft Beers

Haven't been there in awhile, but El Jefe Burger Shack at the Luquillo kiosks used to have quite a good selection of bottled microbrews and many from the Pacific NW and West. Seems like distribution is a problem here and most local persons (who are the main consumers and drive the market) are used to a light beer such as the local Medella Lite and Coors lite. Also the Brass Cactus in Luquillo does serve a couple of Sam Adams varieties and we have seen some microbrews such as Red Hook along with some imports such as Peroni and others on occassion at the Walmart in the Canovanas Plaza (but it's hit or miss)

They do have an IPA at Old Harbor but just heard they have a new brewmaster so can't comment on current varieties available there.

Level Contributor
639 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Craft Beers

Learn to like Medalla unless you call Heinekin (probably bottled by Medalla) as a craft beer. I would be cautious of drinking other imported beers because of age and/or exposure to heat sitting on some dock in the sun some place.

Mayaguez, Puerto...
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Craft Beers

Outside San Juan in the surfing heaven of Aguadilla you can find a large selection of craft beers at Econo Gate 5 Supermarket. They have a Facebook and a page econogate5.com with directions. They are 1 mile northeast of the airport there. They maintain every selection chilled for bottle purchase so you can try out many at a time.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Craft Beers

Now you have a couple of options, first in the metro area you can visit Taberna Boricua very good place with a lot of Craft Beers and open space. Also in the Old San Juan you have Taberna Lupulo, also very good a lots of beers. At Condado we have Small Bar, very good spot on Condado. If you go to the west of the island you can visit One Ten Thai in Aguadilla, love this place. At Trujillo Alto is The Office, nice Irish Pub. If you are on the road, you can find Craft Beers at some Texaco gas stations and also on some supermarkets around the island. Most important, have Fun....

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Craft Beers

These 2 articles might help http://goo.gl/jeRyl and http://goo.gl/T1Rh0

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Craft Beers

Puerto Rico has now two national beers: Medalla and the brand new Magna.

Magna is new from the makers of Medalla: Cervecera de Puerto Rico.

it is a premium lager special craft beer which will compete with Holland's Heneiken. I tried it and it is very good. you can find it in all the bars, pubs islandwide. Medalla is today the #1 selling beer in Puerto Rico and has won many international awards, it is a light beer with a lot of flavor.

noticiassin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/M…

Edited: 17 August 2011, 21:02
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Craft Beers

for Vieques, I believe Lazy Jacks offers a selection of beers.

also, Kuhns bar has a great selection if wine so it is possible they may have a good selection of beer. not sure. i would suggest posting a similar question on the vieques board

Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Craft Beers

Old Harbor do not bottle its products. They feature five beers and they are out of Taina until October. That makes only four of them available.

My favorite there is Kofresí, a stout.

Some bars and restaurants have a selection of bottles of microbrews available.

If you want a carry-out, SuperMax supermarket in Condado has some. The largest selection I have seen here is at Palmas Station, 10 minutes from the tourist zone. It is in Cataño, barrio Palmas.

Questions? Ask!

Juan Carlos Ortega

Puerto Rico