We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accepted payments

Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Accepted payments

Is a Visa, Amx, Discover or Mastercard Gift Card an acceptable form of payment at most places

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accepted payments

Yes. Discover not many places, but yes.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accepted payments

Mastercard & Visa are the most commonly accepted. Then comes Amex and the least (on a limited number of stores & restaurants, Discover.

Phoenix, Arizona
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Accepted payments

PR uses the US banking system. Just like at home. ATMs (ATH in PR) are all over. Credit cards are widely accepted. Pay at the pump for gas. Grocery stores, Walmart, Kmart, Walgreens etc.

Rio Grande, Puerto...
Level Contributor
290 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accepted payments

I believe the OP is inquiring about the "gift cards" from these credit card companies. I would confirm with the issuing establishments before arriving. A couple of years ago some of our guests who had planned to use theirs found that their transactions were denied at several major retailers and restaurants here (their regular credit card was accepted however). It may just depend on the issuing institution.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accepted payments

I have a couple Visa Gift Cards that don't work here. Thinking of making a mobile out of them!

@Sebana_seca ... I've lived here 8 years and have never seen a working "pay at the pump" credit card reader. I've always had to walk inside to the cashier.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accepted payments

I think there is no country left in the world that does not accept those credit cards or does not have electronic banking, maybe the Central African Republic is behind i guess.

7. Re: Accepted payments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 02:17