We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday cruises out of Puerto Rico

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday cruises out of Puerto Rico

We are a family of 5 adults planning our very first cruise in December 2011. We have narrowed down the choices to Princess leaving out of San Juan, Puerto Rico, so it will be on the Caribbean Princess either for: 7 days to St. Thomas, Tortolla, Antigua, Dominica and Barbados, or 8 days to St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Grenada, Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba.

We're an active group and would prefer shore excursions which include walking, hiking, swimming, snorkeling/scuba and even some zip lining/adventure type activities. We also like old, picturesque town centers with some history and markets, but we're not really into shopping or sunbathing.

I would love advice from experienced cruisers on which ports of call and activities are the best for our interests. Also, is it cheapest to book flights through the cruise company and what area of the ship is the best for cabin selection? Thank you for any help.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
77 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday cruises out of Puerto Rico

You may want to check out the Cruise Critic message board.

Click here: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

It's all about cruisers departing from, and with stops at, San Juan.

Many of them are quite experienced an may be able to answer your questions.

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday cruises out of Puerto Rico

I registered with Cruise Critic, but it won't allow me to post specific questions. I have found some information there.

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday cruises out of Puerto Rico

We have taken the Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan for the past 9 years and have been to most of the islands you list at least 3 or 4 times except we have never been to Curaco and only once to Bonaire. We usually try the beaches. For nature our favorite is Dominica. For snorkling the best is probably Bonaire. We are bored of St Thmas and Barbados which we hit on practically evey trip. Either trip you will love so pick the one that fits your schedule the best.

There is a cost advantage to the Cruise and not to you if you book air thru them. Definately do not book transfers from SJU to the Cruise ship and from the cruise ship to SJU as a taxi is much cheaper and more convenient.

As for the part of the ship we avoid the rea (vibratons and engine noise) and the areas near stairs and elevators (noise).

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday cruises out of Puerto Rico

St Marteen and St Lucia are just wonderful, St Marteen-Sint Maarten is my favorite island, It is a piece of France and Netherlands in the caribbean. the island has shared sovereignty, half of the island is under French sovereignty and the other half (Sint Maarten) is a caribbean country that belongs to the Kingdom of Netherlands.

St Lucia is also one of the most beautiful islands too, beautiful beaches and mountains.

Aruba and Curacao gives you the opportunity to see the southern caribbean, it has a lot of influence from Venezuela since it is very close to this south american country, the people speak Papiamento which is a Creole language, it has a mixture of Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, English and French. Aruba has a distinct culture and the weather is sometimes a lot hotter and dry than in the rest of the caribbean, you will see cactus plants.

I would pick 8 days without a doubt.

Edited: 03 August 2011, 07:35
Texas, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday cruises out of Puerto Rico

Thank you all for your advice. Very helpful.

6. Re: Holiday cruises out of Puerto Rico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 03:18