We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping info for those who need it

Level Contributor
423 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Camping info for those who need it

So I've been planning a camping (budget friendly) trip to pr and have had a heck of a time getting accurate up to date info. TA has been such a help for other things I thought I would share what I have learned in planning my itinerary. I hope it can help someone. Please keep in mind, when I was calling around I was asking only about november 2011.

First thing I learned was expect to call again and again and...again. Silly me was expecting government offices to be open on wierd days...like tuesdays. Secondly I learned that employes will just laugh when you say ' but it says---on the website'. Lastly I learned, unless you have all the time in the world or a real fascination with red tape, avoid dealing with the drna.

So here is what I know.

If you go to the rio piedras neighborhood, you cancatch a publico to luquillo and onward to fajardo. Camping at luquillo is on monserate beachfor $10 a night, no reservation, no permit. Kioskos for cheap food. Camping in fajardo is at 7 seas, $10 per night but you must pay for 2. No rsvp. It is apparently in walking distance of cabeza nature reserve.

Vieques camping at sombe, outside esperanza $10 no rsvp. Culebra camping at flamenco $20 no rsvp.

El yunque is free but requires that pesky permit and has no campgrounds.

The south coast got trickier. We found a hostel in naguabo that lets you stay in one of their tents out pitch your own for $30 with rsvp and kitchen/shower access.

Punta santiago in humacao (when called) says they do not have campingbut punta guillarte in arroyo does. Punta guillarte (when called) says they dont have camping but punta santiago does. Ahhh...fun govt employes.

Tres hermanos beach in anasco has camping with no rsvp/permit but after dealing with the last 2 places I spaced out sking the price.

In camuy there is a private campground called potrero brisas del mar. You do need to rsvp and it's $5pp/nt.

In vega baja at cerro gordo beach there is camping $13 no rsvp. No permit. The super friendly lady who answered the phone assured me the campground is safe because I was hesitant (and was very forgiving of my bad spanish).

Maybe this will help someone. Either way, I now feel validated for the hours I spent on the phone with beurocrates, thanks TA!

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping info for those who need it

Great info, but can you also post the phone numbers? And just for you to know, Puerto Ricans call "camping" when they rent a beach house in let's say Punta Santiago. They have very bare little houses some with aircondition others without. You have to bring everything from linen to kitchen utensils. They use bunk beds with some plastic mattresses. I did that once a few years ago, never again. I don't mind rughing it, but the noise from all the other people right next to you, screaming kids, no thanks

And my hat off to you for doing all this researxch, WOW

Edited: 05 August 2011, 17:59
Level Contributor
423 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping info for those who need it

Screaming kids is as close as we ever get to a nightlife anyways! I heard about the cabins and it seems a little crazy to pay $70 for one when you can get a decent hotel for slightly more...but to each their own :)

I wish I could post numbers but I called sooo many numbers sooo many times that I lost track of which numbers worked, which number was for which location, etc.

My advice for others is call the compania de parques naturales over and over until someone picks up and is willing to answer questions. Get all of the phone numbers from him or her and expect half of them to be wrong.

Punta Santiago...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping info for those who need it

Hello we are a small guesthouse and in Punta Santiago located quite near the cabanas at the beach 1 and 1/2 miles down from our beach. They do not have tent camping there but they do have rv sites to the side of their bare bones cabana rental units. They get jammed during the popular times and are fairly empty the rest of year. For tent camping (legally) the closest to our area is Seven Seas and Luquillo Balenario Montserrat. Though there have been times when folks have camped for one or two nights on the beach down the street here but it's quite rare.

In November at the 'official spots' there are plenty of spaces as locals tent to camp out during Semana Santa in April and certain weeks in the summer. During those busy times you would want (to try to) make reservations...if you can get a person to take them!

I sense and appreciate your patient attitude which and clearly your easy going style/manner in how things can and often do work in this island vis-a-vis offices. As in folks who work there actually answering questions or even telephones and the like! You're pleasant even when frustrated manner will go a long way for helping you to get sorted out when here as well! I am not saying that is fine and the way it 'should' be , just saying that is sometimes the way it is so go with the flow and keep smiling..it does work out eventually!

Edited: 05 August 2011, 23:44
Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping info for those who need it

Thanks for the info, we are hoping to camp a few nights!

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping info for those who need it

all the info about camping is at the puerto rican national parks website

go to Áreas Vacacionales, you will see the map and look for the list that says Áreas de Acampar y Casas Remolques.

www.parquesnacionalespr.com/

if you do not read spanish you can use google translator with this page.

Edited: 07 August 2011, 21:47
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping info for those who need it

Camping is always a problem here in PR.....

As far as I know, currently, there is a moratorium on camping in El Yunque. You need to call Myrna at the office for best info. 787-888-1880

Unfortunately, you will be horrified at most of the bathroom/shower facilities at the "camping" areas.

A few years back, someone did a 10 day camping trip around PR- you may like to read their experiences. It may be a bit old, but still interesting- they wrote it in 5 parts: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147319-i71-k18329…

Good Luck!

7. Re: Camping info for those who need it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 02:16