We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any other way to el yunque???

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
any other way to el yunque???

i'm getting really confused and need your good help....myself and my husband plan to go to El Yunque Rainforest on Tuesday 6th September, we will be staying at the Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza.

We need to find a way to get to El Yunque by public transport but cannot find this info anywhere as most recommend hiring a car which we will not be doing as funds are tight. therefore can you please recommend a good way to get there by public transport bus,train, not cab

we would like to do the La Mina trail, looking at the map of the trails can we go up to the peak first on the La Mina trail then come back down on the same trail to swim in the waterfall?

we appreciate ur help in this

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any other way to el yunque???

There is no way you can do it if it is not using a rental car or a tour company, which will be more expensive than the rental car. There are no public buses to El Yunque nor trains.

The only trains available (light train) run from Sagrado Corazon Station in Santurce to Rio Piedras (up to the University of PR and the botanical garden) and then to Bayamon.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any other way to el yunque???

Sadly, there is no other way.

Maybe you can find another couple to split the car rental with (they are usually available for about $35/day).

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any other way to el yunque???

El Yunque is located in Rio Grande, 1 hour from San Juan.

Buses only work within san juan and the metropolitan area. Públicos (private van buses) work outside the metropolitan area but they are not practical if you are in a tight schedule and much less if you are trying to get to the rainforest.

Edited: 15 August 2011, 00:47
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any other way to el yunque???

As a matter of fact, Publicos aka "VI" or "vehiculo isla" (island vehicle) have fixed routes and none of them goes through El Yunque or has a fixed time schedule.

Edited: 15 August 2011, 02:53
London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: any other way to el yunque???

as we really want to go to the rainforest i guess we'l have to hire a car then. where will i be able to do this?

also can anyone advise me about the la mina trail as in my original post please

i appreciate your time and help in this matter

thanks so much

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any other way to el yunque???

El Yunque is part of the US National Forest System. they have a good web site. realize san juan is a large metro area. over a million people. It has public transportation. Public transport between city is non existant. Even is you took a cab it would only take you to the visitors center. the trails are up in the park itself. Car rental is the way to go.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQoY6BdkOyoCAPkATlA!/?ss=110819&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003853&navid=091000000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&ttype=main&pname=El%20Yunque%20National%20Forest-%20Home

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: any other way to el yunque???

La Mina trail does not go to the peak of El Yunque.

La Mina trail runs between the Palo Colorado visitor center ("ranger station") and La Mina Falls.

To get to the peak of El Yunque, you would take El Yunque trail. The trailhead for El Yunque trail is across road 191 from the Palo Colorado visitor center.

Take a look at this article in our blog for orientation, trail description, and a trail map ... puertoricodaytrips.com/el-yunque-overview/

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: any other way to el yunque???

thanks for all your info

RayInPR I went to your site and it is so informative, from your site we have decided to do the La Mina Trail, one thing im unsure of though and this might sound silly - but is the La Mina trail in the actual forest?

also is the airport the only place where we can hire cars? we only want it to get us to the forest

TIA

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: any other way to el yunque???

Yes, La Mina trail is in El Yunque National Forest.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any other way to el yunque???

Not all carrental agencies are at the airport. There is one (name escapes) just in front of the Caribe Hilton at around 10 min. walking distance from your hotel; then there is Avis renal cars at 1052 Ashford Ave. San Juan, 00907 , PR telephone 787-721-4499; Enterprise Rent-A-Car 999 Ashford Ave, San Juan, PR. Enterprise Rent-A-Car Store Phone Number. 787- 722-5172; & Charlie's Car Rental in Isla Verde to name a few.

Your hotel is located on Ashford Ave. Some hotels have rental car desks on their premises too.