We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October Travel

Hamilton, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
October Travel

I see there are a lot of seasoned travelers on here so rather than stumbling through a million top 10 lists I put it to you experts. My best friend and I (both divorced, active 40+ males) are trying to decide on a vacation spot for mid-Oct. Will probably do a last minute thing but hope I can get some feedback around where to go. We are interested in beaches, bars and hold out hope that we may meet some female companions along the way to hang out with. Nightlife and great beaches are the priorities. I would also like to do a little surfing possibly. Not planning on breaking the bank if possible so have considered places like Jamaica, Dominican Repub, Puerto Rico, Cuba (I'm Canadian), or even Aruba. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October Travel

If i were you i would choose Cuba or Costa Rica: least expensive and the safest with great hotels and beaches.

Unfortunetly Puerto Rico is today the crime capital of the caribbean (if the trend continues we are going to end 2011 with 31 homicides per 100,000, one of the highest in the world) plus the most expensive destination for tourists right now (energy cost in PR is very high now) while services are falling apart (there is transportation problem in Vieques and Culebra and a strike in the bus system that may include other transportation unions too if not resolved. I would not waste my money going to PR the way things are right now here. I love Puerto Rico, this is my homeland but i would not visit the way things are now, if i were a tourist.

Edited: 02 October 2011, 07:45
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October Travel

Jeez, Coqui. You sound like either you hate PR, you simply don't want people visiting PR. Enough with the social issues already. This is a travel related forum, not a political frum.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October Travel

Steve,

PR offers what you are looking for and more. San Juan has nightlife, Rincon has surfing, you can hike at the rainforest and kayak at the biobay. Whether or not PR is the best destination for you depends on your budget. I would suggest checking hotel and airline ticket prices on Hotwire.com, then comparing them to other destinations in order to choose the best one for you. Two very good ways to save money are renting a condo apartment instead of a hotel, and/or bidding on Priceline.com for hotels and airline tickets. Good luck!

Hamilton, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: October Travel

Hi all, We ultimately ended up in Punta Cana. Stayed at the Bavaro Princess. The place turned out to be awsome. Met a lot of great people there. Pretty diverse cross-section of people from all over the world. Interestingly, there were very few Americans or Britts there. I expect the Americans tend to opt for PR instead and the Britts some of the more British influenced islands. Lots of South and Central Americans, Spanish, Portugese, Russians, Dutch, Canadians, Swiss. Quite a mix. Off the resort things can probably get a bit dicey but we only left the resort once and that was on an organized tour to swim with the Stingrays and Sharks. All in all, one of my best vacations. Would highly recommend that specific resort.

5. Re: October Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 05:18