We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to go to?

Iowa
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which area to go to?

We have traveled to Mexico and the Bahamas before but decided to check out Puerto Rico for our next vacation after the first of the year. Important to us.... a great beach with some service, good close restaurants and some historical sites nearby. hubby loves those....I prefer a GREAT beach. Any suggestions on where to start are appreciated.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to go to?

Defnitely Isla Verde is the place for you. It has by far the nicest beach in San Juan, numerous restaurants within walking distance and Old San Juan is just 10 minute car drive away or 30 minutes if you take the public bus and costs only $0.75 per person. In Ilsa Verde the most populat hotels in the best areas are the Intercontinental and teh El San Juan Hotel. As for beachfront vacation rentals, the nicest buildings next to these hotels are Cora Beach, Marbella del Caribe and ESJ Towers.

West Orange, NJ
Level Contributor
57 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to go to?

I am going to Luquillo beach area, is that as nice as Isla Verde?

3. Re: Which area to go to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 October 2011, 18:10
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to go to?

Luquillo is more of a beach town. Almost no nightlife and a few good restaurants, such as Guava's and Casa y Pueblo

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to go to?

Luquillo is at the foot of the El Yunque rain forest and had an island vs. an urban atmosphere that you find in Isle Verde. Nearby resorts are the Gran Melia (beautiful property and golf, so-so beach); Rio Mar, great beach, Bahia Beach ($$$$) for Jay Lo / celeb watching, and El Conquistador which is down the road in Fajardo - great views, beach on a private island by shuttle.

If you are staying a villa rental in the area, Luquillo Beach is (Balneario Monserrate) is one of the really great beaches. Just west of Luquillo Beach are the Kioskos which are a row of about 50 small eating and drinking places which include the highest rated places in PR (Ay Bonito) to some very local establishments.

West Orange, NJ
Level Contributor
57 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to go to?

We have reservations at Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn, are you familiar with that place?

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to go to?

Yes - nice place. I've not stayed in the rooms but it gets good reviews.

Go to Pasta y Pueblo restaurant very close by. Just a shack but has some of the best food in the area - check the reviews on TA.

The beach across from the hotel has a relatively strong surf. Luquillo Beach which is around the point to the west is very calm and has lots of services. Have a Pina Colada at Iris's there.

West Orange, NJ
Level Contributor
57 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to go to?

Am I correct that staying in Luquillo will have more of a tropical island atmosphere than staying in San Juan? We have reservations at both Water Beach Club and Luquillo Sunrise, still not sure which one is best for our family of 5 (3 teens).

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to go to?

The Water beach club and Isla Verde are more oriented to adults. IMO, your kids will probably enjoy Luquillo Sunrise the most, for a tropical island atmosphere. There are lots of activities to be done at the Rio Grande-Luquillo -Fajardo area.

If you'll have a rental car, you'll be able to move around and make at least day trip to OSJ.

Check this site for great tried & true ideas:

prdaytrips.com

West Orange, NJ
Level Contributor
57 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area to go to?

Thanks so much, thought I made the right choice, you helped me to know that I did.