We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PR road trip recommendations

chicago, il
Level Contributor
304 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
PR road trip recommendations

Saw some great fares to San Juan- November and toying w idea of going if hubby can get away for 8 or 9 days.

What do you think of either ferry to Vieques and basically spending the whole time there (aside from couple days in OSJ ) OR a PR road trip around the island. The car rental rates at Charlies seem good and might be less hassle and more economical than Vieques.

PR Vetrans: Which would you do- road trip around the island or Vieques, and why?

What would a good road trip itenerary be for 8/9 days? (We like beaches/nature, but also a little historic/culture).

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PR road trip recommendations

Vieques is great spot to go if you just want to kick back on a mostly deserted beach and have a quiet time relaxing.

If you want an intense, cultural experience go San Juan - Rincon - Mayaguez - Boqueron - Ponce - Luquillo - San Juan. Do this and you will know PR.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Rincon
Rincon
Puerto Rico
Mayaguez
Mayaguez
Puerto Rico
Boqueron
Boqueron
Puerto Rico
Ponce
Ponce
Puerto Rico
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PR road trip recommendations

Personally, I would do a road trip, but I am not big on beach laying. But a happy medium may be 2-3 days on Vieques, then a tour around the big island.

You won't be able to take your Big island car rental to Vieques- you will need to rent another over there.

There are loads of beautiful beaches and nature on the big island too. Here are some of my favorites:

Going from East along the north to West, down south and back-

EL Yunque, Balneario Monserrate, Pinones nature boardwalk, Old San Juan, Punta Puerto Nuevo beach, Mar Chiquita, Hacienda Esperanza, Cueva del Indio, Cueva Ventana, Rincon's beaches but mainly the sunsets, and Desecheo Island, Cabo Rojo- the Lighthouse area and Playuela beach, Parguera area and islets, Guanica and a trip to Gilligan's islands, Ponce and Tibes and trip to Caja de Muertos, Guavate for the pork!, along the east coast you can enjoy Maunabo lighthouse and beach and in Naguabo a trip to Monkey Island and of course Palominitos and Icacos island.

And that misses all the great stuff in the middle of the island!

Mentioned in this post
Balneario Luquillo
Balneario Luquillo
360 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Pinones
Pinones
166 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,166 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Aventura Cueva Ventana
Aventura Cueva Ventana
788 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Desecheo Island
Desecheo Island
42 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Cabo Rojo
Cabo Rojo
Puerto Rico
Guanica
Guanica
Puerto Rico
Ponce
Ponce
Puerto Rico
Naguabo
Naguabo
Puerto Rico
Icacos Island
Icacos Island
484 Reviews
Puerto Rico
chicago, il
Level Contributor
304 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PR road trip recommendations

Thank you, Armok and Flower.

After your suggestions, I think I lean towards the road trip. I HOPE we get to make the trip to PR and go to these wonderful-sounding places.

Will report on it if we do.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PR road trip recommendations

I agree that it probably depends on if you are looking for fun or relaxing :) are you going to be there on a weeked? Go to Guavate! My husband and I tried to go to it but we got lost :) Check out this blog about it: puertoricodaytrips.com/guavate-lechon-and-mu…

boston
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: PR road trip recommendations

Another vote for a road trip. You will not be bored, but you will also find plenty of good beaches, interesting people and terrific food. We have rented from Charlie in the past and had good luck, but most recently I used Priceline and got a car from Budget at the airport for $16 a day (very cheap!).

6. Re: PR road trip recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 18:18