We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long-term home rental-Where would you choose?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Long-term home rental-Where would you choose?

I am starting my research to rent a house (i.e., through VRBO) for 6+ weeks next summer and I am trying to decide which area of the island would be most ideal.

I want a house, not a condo. Close to the beach, but doesn't have to be ON the beach. As much as I would like to, logistically, I don't think out on Vieques would work, plus we aren't just flop-on-the-beach types. I will be able to stay the entire time, but my husband will travel back and forth, plus teenagers. Also grandparents will probably come part of the time. Because of this, I don't think we want to be messing with getting back and forth to Vieques. (We may go over there for the day via a flight or a ferry, as well as Culebra. Already been to Culebra.)

I would love to be over in Cabo Rojo area or Rincon, but I worry that it is just so far. Yes, I realize there are airports other than SJU, but I need to keep budget in mind. I have thought about Vega Baja area near Los Tubos beach, or near Humacao/ Punta Santiago. Is the Humacao side of the island at more risk for Tropical Storms/Hurricanes? (Had to deal with an evacuation last summer from Irene-I realize it is always a risk, but would like to avoid.)

I would also like an area that is fairly safe, not to chaotic-not too interested in being in the hubub of San Juan. I like to let my teens be adventurous, but be able to go off on their own and be safe.

I have been to Puerto Rico several times and know my way around, and my Spanish is clunky but functional, but would really like to hear from others their thoughts.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 10:42
Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long-term home rental-Where would you choose?

For a six week stay with in-and out for members of your party, you want a couple of things. You don't want to be too far from the airport and you need to have decent shopping - groceries etc nearby.

The Rio Grande / Luquillo / Fajardo area has a good supply of rentals, access to really good beaches and other attractions such as the rain forest and bio bay etc. We stayed in villas at Rio Mar for a month at a time and the location was great and we saw good rental opportunities outside the resort as well.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long-term home rental-Where would you choose?

Yes, I also woulkd recommend the east coast, Luquillo/ Fajardo. You will also find many people to speak english, so communication is easy.I love the area, not to far and many things to do

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long-term home rental-Where would you choose?

I woul also advise on the east side, either Rio Grande, Luquillo or Fajardo, but what you;ll find will depend on your budget and the space (rooms) you need.

On the other hand, you express that your husband will travel back & forth...from US, or from somewhere in the island?

As a matter of fact, this weekend a new - huge- Ralph's supermarket was opened in Fajardo (side by side to CVS) and it is very well stocked.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long-term home rental-Where would you choose?

I spent time in Fajardo and Puerto del Rey area the last time we were in PR, and I found it to be a bit too busy for me. It is a plus to be closer to Vieques and Culebra though if we want to go over there to visit for a day. Have been several times to El Yunque, so that is not high on my list of must-haves. But then food kiosks at Luquillo beach are a bonus...so may options!

Family will be traveling to and from the States, so I would like to be within 45 minutes of SJU. What about Dorado area and west of there on North coast? That is one area I have not been to.

I know there isn't a perfect storm of amenities, and a compromise will be required in the end.

5. Re: Long-term home rental-Where would you choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2012, 10:27