We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rincon or Loquillo

London
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rincon or Loquillo

Hello,

We are a family of 4 looking 2 spend 10-14 days in Puerto Rico. We have 2 boys (8 & 6). I am trying to find a relatively chilled beach area (no high rises) and was considering Rincon or Loquillo (or maybe both depending on how long we stay)? Can anyone provide any recommendations or other alternatives that I may not have thought of. Thanks

Pete

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rincon or Loquillo

Pro's:

Rincon - really laid back. Beaches have great surfing. Has a California atmosphere.

Luquillo - Calmer beaches, also laid back - has a number of resorts if you want them - better proximity to island transactions such as the rain forest, water excursions, bio bay, zip lines etc. You can easily get to Old San Juan for history and great restaurants, ect.

Cons:

Rincon - relatively remote - 2.5 hours from San Juan. Less developed infrastructure (stores, resort options etc.)

Luquillo - It does have one or two high rises - but it is next to a 7 mile stretch of unspoiled beach preserve.

London
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rincon or Loquillo

Thanks for that, I was sort of concerned by the distance from San Juan to Rincon, particularly since we would be flying from London.

I guess with kids Luquillio might be a better option. Is there any other beach area that I should consider or do you think Luguillo is the best option?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rincon or Loquillo

For 10-14 days, you really should go to a few places. It will require a car, but that is really a must any time you are out of the SJ area.

The NE (Luquillo) is nice, lots of things to do in the general area. Rincon has a cool vibe to it. You may want to look at the out islands ( but the con to that is it is hard to get to/fro).

The more I travel around PR, the more I enjoy the different areas. The SW area is getting very high on my favorite list, lots of water activities to do and less expensive than other areas.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 23:41
London
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rincon or Loquillo

Thanks again, Rincon seems ideal in terms of vibe but Liquillo seems to be closer to activities. Maybe a week at Luquillo then Rincon (I just dread the journey back to San Juan from Rincon).

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rincon or Loquillo

There is a lot you can do along the way- caves, beaches, lighthouse, walks. Make a day out of it, spend you last night in SJ and then be ready to the flight the last day.

For another place to look into, I enjoy the SW/Parguera area also- lots of watersports and restaurants available.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rincon or Loquillo

Hey Pete,

Yes, split your vacations on both sides. Check flowrefarm's excellent website:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/

For general information:

caribbeanbusinesspr.com/magman/…index.html

Welcome to Puerto Rico.

Manchester United!!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rincon or Loquillo

I agree, split your trip in half. Stay in two different places and it will be much easier on you. Puerto Rico is beautiful and there are a lot of different things to do. Try to get over to Culebra if you have time.

8. Re: Rincon or Loquillo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2012, 10:25