We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in pr with young kids

3 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in pr with young kids

We are looking to go to puerto Rico over Christmas and want to stay in condos. We have a large group and a lot of small kids. Wondering where is the safest places to stay and what beaches are also the most family friendly I.e not dangerous,clear and safe for kiddos! We also love snorkeling!! Thanks!

San Juan Snorkel and Picnic Cruise
707 reviews
from US$83.00*
Culebra Day Trip by Catamaran from...
291 reviews
from US$113.00*
Special Offer
Old San Juan Sunset Sail
32 reviews
from US$66.50*
US$95.00
Old San Juan Walking Tour
202 reviews
from US$40.00*
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in pr with young kids

You are talking next year correct? If you are thinking this year. You will be lucky to find anything. Grab anything you can find. Expect to pay Rack rates.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in pr with young kids

No, obviously not this year. That would be stupid. We are looking at Next year when you usually start booking trips.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in pr with young kids

You say "No, obviously not this year".

That's not so obvious.

I just received an inquiry about our vacation rental home this morning for _this coming_ New Years!

So you can understand the basis for PR_Bob's initial response.

Regarding beaches ... the north coast (including the Isla Verde, Condado, Ocean Park areas) can be rough during the winter. So, depending on the ages and abilities of the kids, I would be reluctant to say "just let them loose on the beach" in the metro area.

Snorkeling from the beaches on the big island is virtually non-existent (with a few exceptions). For best snorkeling, you would have to head to the smaller out islands, or to Culebra or Vieques.

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in pr with young kids

If you have the money and are willing to fork it out for a vacation in 4 days more power to you!! I did not make it clear from my initial question and I am sorry about that. But it is for a year in advance which would be considered more normal.

I have also seen the the north shore can be rougher. But than luquilla beach has such good reviews. Is it a pretty safe beach?

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,217 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in pr with young kids

I stayed in an Apartment in Rio Grande, it was very nice and oly 10 min. to Luwquillo. Its great with children, because they have a big closet full of toy¨s. There are actually 2 apartments one on top of the other with a connecting door. That may be nice for a larger group. The Owner is Alvy and he is very nice. beachesandoceans@southbell.org. I wish I knew about it when my kids were small.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in pr with young kids

I really like the villas at the Wyndham Rio Mar Resort for a family vacation. They are beautiful, some are beachfront and the resort has something for everyone. Kids love it there and if you stay at a beachfornt villa you have the convenience of having the beach and pool at your doorstep. Plus, it is more fun to enjoy your vacation as everyone is always together and you could go in just one second to your kitchen to get a snack, a drink, a book or anything your child needs, while being at a spectacular setting. Plus the resort has waterslides, playgrounds, and the guys can go play golf and return relax (You can tell I am a fanatic of this place). You do not mention the size of your group but, there are from 1 to 4 bedroom villas. If you are looking to rent various villas, I would certainly rent throguh and agent so you can get villas close by. If you can manage to stay in one large villa, we recently rented this villa with 2 other families and LOVED IT: www.resortvillarentals.com/oceanvillas5.html

7. Re: Where to stay in pr with young kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2012, 10:19