We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camuy Cave disaster

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Camuy Cave disaster

For the passed weeks it has been a disaster trying to go to the Caves. Once you get there ( early by 8 am ) you have to wait 1 or 2 hours before they have someone there to attent the Cashier Booth. They only have one Tour Guide which actually does not give tours anymore because now they use audio guias. That´s a listening devise were you punch in the aera where you are and then it gives information. It comes in different languages, but it may work or not. Or sometimes you run out of battery. They will give you a $3.00 refund when that happens. Apparently they are under staffed, underfunded and if you want to complain thewn the Lady in charhge Mrs. Acosta is not there. It is an outrage how one of our biggest Tourist attraction is nothing but a bad expierience for our Tourists

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camuy Cave disaster

We visited the Camuy Caves on Friday, December 23. We arrived at around 11:30 and had to wait around an hour before we were able to leave. It appeared that there were 3 different guides taking groups. Though my headset worked, the other one kept going in and out. I did think the tour and caves were interesting and something worth seeing.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camuy Cave disaster

Hardly a "disaster", but yes, very annoying and a disgrace.

I haven't been there in years, so I don't know if this is usual or just holiday related.

You should contact PRTC with your concern.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camuy Cave disaster

@bunny ... Your post subject made me think the roof of the cave fell in and killed people.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camuy Cave disaster

You´re right Ray, I should have put ¨"organisation disaster "and I did sent an e-mail to the Tourism Company

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camuy Cave disaster

the caves are a mirror to what is happening now to Puerto Rico in every aspect. I was traveling to Ponce and there is a big chunk of that expressway that is pitch dark, the lightposts do not work. i feel i am in the central african republic sometimes.

Edited: 04 January 2012, 21:03
danvers
Level Contributor
634 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camuy Cave disaster

Hi everyone I guess we got lucky-- we went last wednesday and had no problem at all-- they actually over regulated the process a bit by requiring us to show our numbers - plus an additional ticket - etc. my husband's headset stopped working during and the guide immediately changed it. Maybe they got your email bunny123 and are working towards rectifying the problems---

I found it fascinating---the caves are beautiful and well preserved by controlling the population that tours. I also enjoyed the tour guides input and knowledge that we had in addition to the audio tours information. Camuy Caves was one of the highlights of our trip ----It is very unique and beautiful--- we also got there about 8-

Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camuy Cave disaster

We are heading to Puerto Rico next month and the Camuy Caves was definitely on our list of things to do. Please keep us updated . Our time is very limited so I'd hate to spend a day being frustrated. Thanks.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camuy Cave disaster

Bunny, perhaps you may also want to email the Compania de Parques

Nacionales , which is the one that runs the park.

In my experience, holidays mean "crowded" and longer waiting, but the numbers that are given at the entrance are honored at a first come first served basis,wainting is expected on busy days, since only a pre-determined number of persons are allowed at the caves at the same time and the tour lasts aproximately 1 1/2 hr.

I have found that the best days to visit are midweek (Wed-Thurs.), the earlier the better.

9. Re: Camuy Cave disaster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2013, 10:17