We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How gay friendly is PR?

Richmond, Virginia...
11 posts
Save Topic
How gay friendly is PR?

My partner and I are looking to move to puerto Rico. Does anyone now what the climate in regards to gay couples is around the? My partner doesn't speak much Spanish so we would probably look at San Juan and Rincon. we are also planning to have a baby in the next couple of years, so that could happen while we a there...

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How gay friendly is PR?

Hi Mark,

Puerto Rico is a Great place/island to live, having said that as far as "The Gay Secene" is in Condado-San Juan: bars, night life, night clubs, ect...

Rincon is a laid back beach town, with alot of "Mixed" bars, and a few "Gay" night clubs. It all depends on if you would like to live the "City Life" or the "Carribean Beach Life". In San Juan, just like Any big city, there is always a chance of being hassled, in Rincon, if you are not out "Crusing" you will be just fine.

Have a look at the only Gay paper here in Puerto Rico-Spanish

http://www.saliendodelcloset.org/

n FaceBooK:

http://www.facebook.com/ConexionG?ref=ts&sk=wall#!/ConexionG?sk=wal

Enjoy lfe in Puerto Rico!!

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How gay friendly is PR?

P. R. is a great place for Gay couples. A bunch of Gay Clubs in San Juan. There is even a Tourist Magazine called Alternativas or something like that. We have Crime just like all over the world, so just be a s carefull as you would be at home. Ocean Park and Condado are the hang out´s as I understand

Richmond, Virginia...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How gay friendly is PR?

Thanks!

We are not even really in the "Gay Scene" where we live now. Don't ever go to gay clubs, etc. Just looking for more of a family friendly scene. We might have a child by the time we move there, or while we live there. I'm concerned about discrimination towards our child. However, I do believe that you can find all kinds of people everywhere. We are looking for a live and let live kind of culture, even when values/beliefs are different.

I am from Latin America, and even though a lot of people are not pro-gay rights, they are respectful and nice to us. That's what we are looking for. Also, that it wouldn't affect our jobs.

How hard is it to live and be out?

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How gay friendly is PR?

Family is Family...Once again San Juan is a Big City, Rincon is a Small Beach Town -Everyone knows Everyone.

(No chain resturants, No chain hotels, No stop lights)

This might help:

www.rincon.org

www.rinconpr.com

www.rinconvactions.com

www.surfrinconpr.com

www.elcoquiofrincon.com

You may also, PM us about living on the West Coast.

Boise, Idaho
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How gay friendly is PR?

Sounds like a great place. I would be traveling alone. Do you think there would be any trouble for me since i do not speak spanish? I have the itch to travel and Puerto Rico sounded fun and nice.

pa
Level Contributor
795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How gay friendly is PR?

We were there in August and I don't know any spanish and we did fine!

Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How gay friendly is PR?

discrimination it sad to said but gays are not well liked they just don't talk about it much

Boise, Idaho
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How gay friendly is PR?

Suggestions on inexpensive places to stay that are close to the reas I would want to visit? It will be my first visit and I love history, beaches, museums and a whole heck of a lot more.

thanks btw for the responses!!!

Boise, Idaho
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How gay friendly is PR?

oh, and i am in need of a tour guide of sorts. Is there a gay chat line to put it out there, kind of like a puerto Rican facebook of sorts?

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How gay friendly is PR?

You may want to look here:

www.purpleroofs.com/caribbean/puertorico.html