We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

S P
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

Hi all,

I have looked up recent related posts but still have some decision making to do and could use feedback. We're looking to do a 5-7 day trip to the Caribbean in late spring...though we could all use the break, this trip is really for my mother-in-law, and we want to make sure she enjoys it. She is easy to please--sun and a beach chair and diet pepsi and she's happy, especially with two grandkids around. Those would be our kiddos, 8 mo and 3 yrs old. I just want a direct flight, relaxing vibe, happy kids, amazing customer service, and maybe one romantic dinner out with hubby. Would be nice to escape the resort for brief trips.

We are trying to decide between:

- Beaches Turks & Caicos (all inclusive is both an extremely appealing and somewhat overwhelming option)

- A stay at either Las Casitas, Caribe Hilton or Rio Mar in Puerto Rico (where my mother is from, so that is appealing) Possibly 2 nights in city before venturing out?

- A property in Barbados--possibly Cobbler's Cove? My MIL loves the English-style furnishings.

If you have been to these resorts/islands and can offer any input into my exhaustive, decision-making-stalemate I would really appreciate it. We don't get to travel much anymore and I want to do it right.

Thank you!

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

I would suggest that Rio Mar and or Las Casitas are the best bet in PR for the kids.

We travel with my 91 year old mother in law, and health care is a concern of ours. I don't know how old your mother in law is, but among the island you are considering, health care resources in PR are vastly greater in an emergency.

S P
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

Thank you for your advice! Do you have any preference between Rio Mar and Las Casitas? We would probably do one or the other.

SP

Punta Santiago...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

Rio Mar is nice in that the beachfront is walking distance from the hotel rooms, swimming pool area and outside pool/bar restuarants. BUT it is not always a calm waterfront..as in can be waves. La Casita in El Conquistador is not located on a beach. Their nice pool with hot tubs overlooks the amazing view of the water but there is not a beachfront. So they have a private use island of their own with beachfront. However logistic wise you have to pack up kids, MIL, other things to bring and then use their free quick ferry to go out to the island where almost everything to do or eat etc has a $$$ that is not low.

If money is no concern and beach ease is the priority between the two Rio...or the all inclusives in the other islands is my vote!

S P
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

Thank you Barefoots GH! Yes, it is tough to decide between the TCI and Puerto Rico. I have visited PR many times, mostly staying with family in central or western PR, Vieques too. I want to share the experience with my little ones in a way that is convenient for all. But I also don't know that we will have the opportunity to visit TCI again anytime soon...

As for waves at Rio Mar, is that all year long or during hurricane season?

Thanks again

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

go to Vieques

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
415 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

T& C hands down

By far the best beaches in the caribbean. hands down. Water in grace bay very calm for the kids to swim.

We were not too trilled with beaches, it is huge. ( unless you want to use the kids club constantly). Try next door Alexandra. ( you can all get a 2 BR condo).

Lots of options in the island for high end dining as well.

NS flight from JFK

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

If I could go anywhere in the Caribbean, Grand Cayman would be my first choice, Turks and Caicos second. Definitely the best beaches in the Caribbean! We usually stay at Plantana condos in Grand Cayman. They are right on beautiful Seven Mile Beach, nicely decorated, and reasonable. Cayman is not an all inclusive style island-probably because there are so many fantastic restaurants. Lots of very nice condos right on the beach to choose from.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

The Rio Mar rooms does not compare to the Casitas. What compares to the Casitas are the beachfront villas at the Wyndham Rio Mar. These are not available for rent through the hotel, you must rent them directly through the owners or their agents.

Owners:

homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/…r10131

Agents:

http://www.resortvillarentals.com/

9. Re: Turks & Caicos, PR or Barbados w/ mother-in-law and kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 10:28