We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon and hurricane season

Queenstown
3 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon and hurricane season

We are seriously interested in going to Puerto Rico for our honeymoon, but would be traveling during the hurricane season (starting August 13th). I just want to know from people who have been there during that time period, whether its worth it. I'd rather go somewhere that I don't have to worry about hurricanes, etc. but I'm really in love with what I've read about Puerto Rico... It's just the weather that I've heard conflicting information... I obviously don't want to waste my time going somewhere intending to sit on the beach when it's going to rain the whole time... If it's not that bad, then I'm willing to risk it. But I'd really love to hear advice from first hand experience.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon and hurricane season

Can't offer much guidance this far in advance.

The NOAA 52-year average for rainfall in PR in August is 5.22", with 17.5 days having some rain. But, if there's a tropical weather "event" in the area, we tend to get more.

In 2011, on our property in Rio Grande at the edge of El Yunque National Forest, we got just over 37" of rain. But, remember, August brought us Emily and Irene. TS Irene alone gave us 23" of rain.

In 2010, we got over 12" of rain in August. That year in August, Colin and Earl passed to the north-east of Puerto Rico.

Historically, our worst tropical weather has been later in the season ... September and October.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon and hurricane season

Well you won't be able to go anywhere in the Carib, East Coast of the US. Gulf coast of the us. Central America. Pacific or anywhere else tropical in the northern hemispere during August. Hurricanes can and do happen. I'd rather be on the big island than a small one.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon and hurricane season

The 23" RayiPR referred to came all in about 48 hours. It was sunny right up to the storm and cleared up a couple of days later - though things were a mess after the TS. While the odds are in your favor, there is a higher risk in the storm season.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon and hurricane season

It is impossible to predict a hurricane this far in advance, we are not even in hurricane season.

5. Re: Honeymoon and hurricane season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 10:32