We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba in PR

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba in PR

Hi,

We are a young couple who just got our diving certification. From what I have read diving at Desecheo seems to be the best bet but not sure if its for beginners.

How is diving in Vieques and Culebra. Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks

San Juan Snorkel and Picnic Cruise
707 reviews
from US$83.00*
Culebra Day Trip by Catamaran from...
291 reviews
from US$113.00*
Special Offer
Old San Juan Sunset Sail
32 reviews
from US$66.50*
US$95.00
Old San Juan Food Tour
268 reviews
from US$92.19*
Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba in PR

The diving in the Luis Pena Marine Reserve in Culebra as excellent, relatively shallow (about 50', great for beginners), and easy. We used Taz @ Aquatic Adventures. He was great. Check our blog for details ... puertoricodaytrips.com/aquatic-adventures-cu…

Desecheo was nice for diving, too. Somewhat deeper. A little more effort to get to. Check our blog ... puertoricodaytrips.com/dive-desecheo-island/

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba in PR

One, if not the best dive in PR is "the Wall" off the Caribbean coast of PR right off the coast of La Parguera. The Wall is 22 miles long, with drop-offs of more than 1,500 feet and visibility from 60 to 150 feet. Divers especially love Fallen Rock, an underwater promontory which separated thousands of years ago and carved a deep trench in the ocean floor. This passageway is home to a plethora of marine life can be observed, including octopi, sharks, moray eels, and forests of black coral orchids.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba in PR

Sorry, I just looked again at your post and you indicated you were beginners.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba in PR

Thanks guys.

RayInPR: I read your blog. very informative. How is scuba in Vieques as compared to culebra

preexplorer: Is the dive site you mentioned not reommended for beginners?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba in PR

The wall in La Parguera is very nice, probably one of our favorite in PR, but may or may not be suitable for beginners depending on your comfort level, other wall-diving experience, etc.

We've dived at both Culebra and Vieques, on a number of occasions. Culebra just "felt" better. Could have been the dive situation (boat, divemaster, weather, conditions, etc) or could have been something else. Culebra just seemed "easier".

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba in PR

Thanks RayInPR.

It looks like I will be doing scuba in Vieques and choose between vieques dive company or nan-sea charters. Will check with my dive shop once if they think I can do something more advanced like the wall in La Parguera.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba in PR

Culebra has the best diving, but Vieques is a better all around vacation.

check with blackbeard sports in Vieques also

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba in PR

Hi Scuba in PR,

Wondering what makes Vieques the "...better all around vacation?" We're looking at going for Christmas with our two twenty-something boys and they'll need more things to do than us old folks! But us old folks dive!!

9. Re: Scuba in PR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:17