We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday dinner near San Juan

lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday dinner near San Juan

Hi,

My BF and I will be traveling to PR next month and his birthday is the night we arrive. We will be staying in San Juan (Hilton Caribe) for the first two nights and then heading to Isabela for the rest of our stay. Is there a place not too far from the Hilton where we should go for dinner to celebrate his birthday? Are there places on the water? We like good food, not fancy food and would prefer a more relaxed environment over a stuffy one. Any suggestions? Also, any thoughts about where to eat in Isabela?

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday dinner near San Juan

Because you will need a cab anyway (it's not a good idea to walk at night), I would suggest heading to Old San Juan. There are plenty of great restaurant options there: Dragonfly, Aguaviva, etc. Please see the link below for more options.

http://www.oofrestaurants.com/

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday dinner near San Juan

We're planning a "splurge" dinner at Perla.

lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday dinner near San Juan

Are there any other suggestions? Is there anything on the water in the San Juan area or should we save our beach type dinners for when we head west to Isabella?

lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday dinner near San Juan

Just wanted to bump this thread as our vacation is only 10 days away now. Are there restaurants on the water in either the San Juan or Isabella areas? How about live music while we are there? We will be arriving on a Wednesday and staying through the weekend

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday dinner near San Juan

There are no restaurants on the water in San Juan, but there are some with an ocean view. Perrurican Restaurant in Condado has an outside deck with about 10 tables. Nice ocean breeze, great peruvian food. Perla in La Concha hotel has a nice view (no outside seating) but is a fancy restaurant.

lkm
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday dinner near San Juan

I looked at Perla and I think that is fancier than what we are looking for. How about Pamela's or Oceano? Those two came up when I was searching earlier....

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday dinner near San Juan

I don't know where Pamela is. Oceano is in a new hotel in Condado. It is getting good reviews for the ambiance, but I haven't been there myself.

I'm having a hard time recommending a place for you bc you don't want fancy but want close to the water. Soleil in Pinones is casual but nice and is close to the beach. It is a 15min drive from the Hilton, although there might be some traffic getting there on weekends. You will also have to call a cab for pick up back to the hotel.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday dinner near San Juan

Hi lkm, As mentioned, You might want to try Oceano, which is on Vendig St, just off Ashford Ave. in the Condado. Its right on the beach and has a nice cool vibe. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and the food is very good. Its very open though so its not so great in the rain. Its probably a 15 minute walk from the caribe Hilton, so I'd take a taxi. After dinner you can either hang out at Oceano or walk up Ashford Ave. and look into the lobby at La Concha or other small bars like El Barril which sometimes feature live music. The Conrad Condado Plaza (which is closer to the Caribe) usually has live music in its lobby lounge on weekends. The Caribe is fairly close to Old San Juan so you might want to consider dinner there as well.

9. Re: Birthday dinner near San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:18