We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Yunque Rainforest - Terrible Experience - BEWARE OF FORES

Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Topic
El Yunque Rainforest - Terrible Experience - BEWARE OF FORES

The rainforest was great. However, our experience while there made the overall rating terrible. Parking is horrible and at the top we clearly parked in an area that allowed parking. To our dismay, we hiked back down the mountain and there was a $75 ticket on our rental car. We went to the information center and talked to Jose Ayala, Patrol Captain for the area. We showed him the ticket and he said he gave it to us. We asked if we could take him up to the area we parked as it was a clearly a parking area and he said "he did not have time." He went on to say that we all get tickets these days including everyone in his family and shrugged like it was no big deal. We called the US Forest Service National Office and talked to David Ferrell, Director of Law Enforcment for the US Forest Service. Long story short, he said we have 2 options:

1) pay the $75

2) contest in court by traveling back to Puerto Rico!!!

He did not care about our comments and the customer service or lack thereof from him and the US Forest Service in general was appalling and disappointing. I caution all visitors to beware of citations. If you have problems, below is the contact info for both people we talked with. It will probably not get you anywhere but it was a huge disappointment.

Name Jose E. Ayala

Phone 787-888-5675

Fax 787-888-5680

Title LEO- Patrol Captain

Name David Ferrell

Phone 703-605-4690 or on his cell phone at 703-772-1516

Fax 703-605-5112

Title Director LEI

Email: dferrell@fs.fed.us

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Yunque Rainforest - Terrible Experience - BEWARE OF FORES

I have been there at least 2 dozen times and have never gotten a ticket. This is a surprise.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Yunque Rainforest - Terrible Experience - BEWARE OF FORES

Yes, parking is an issue.

I have seen lots of people getting tickets when parked along the roadside, even when in parking zones.

I am waiting a confirmation, but I believe they have a policy that all tires have to be off the road (outside the white line on the road side).

Quincy
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Yunque Rainforest - Terrible Experience - BEWARE OF FORES

I highly recommend going as early in the day as you can. Late morning on, the amount of car traffic and tour buses is annoying. Early hiking can hopefully lead to less traffic on the paved trails and smaller crowds at the waterfalls.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Yunque Rainforest - Terrible Experience - BEWARE OF FORES

I've never parked on the side of the road. Always in the lot. If it's to busy, we just enjoy the ride and come back another day. Liquillo beach is right down the mountain.

puerto rico
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Yunque Rainforest - Terrible Experience - BEWARE OF FORES

Thanks for the information on who to contact in case...What a bummer it must have been especially after enjoying the hiking. The worst part sounds like the dismissive way the officer responded to you.

Maybe you should also contact the credit card company who is covering your car rental..perhaps they can assist somehow in appealing it thru the car rental itself?

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Yunque Rainforest - Terrible Experience - BEWARE OF FORES

In the Rainforest the Law Enforcment is Federal, not local, just so you know

7. Re: El Yunque Rainforest - Terrible Experience - BEWARE OF FORES

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:15