We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday morning grocery shopping?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
64 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday morning grocery shopping?

Is it true I am unable to buy food from stores until 11am on Sunday mornings? (Even walmart?)

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday morning grocery shopping?

Stores are required to stay closed until 11am on Sundays. Walmart, normally open 24 hours, closes at 4am on Sunday only to reopen at 11am.

Some stores (like Walgreens) are open before 11am, but there is a limit to the specific items that they can sell before 11am.

I have heard that Walmart (in Canovanas) sometimes opens it's doors around 10am, but you can't check-out until 11am.

I believe the food stores in the "tourism area" (Isla Verde) are exempt from this "closing law".

Edited: 07 May 2012, 16:25
Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,217 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday morning grocery shopping?

Pueblo & Supermax in Isla Verde are open 24/7, also another one in Condado

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
64 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday morning grocery shopping?

Thanks guys! We will be in Luquillo, so this really was useful in planning out our grocery shopping time :)

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday morning grocery shopping?

wow, i never realized that. is that true for Vieques? I never noticed it on a Sunday

5. Re: Sunday morning grocery shopping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:16