We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

Park City, Utah...
2 posts
Save Topic
Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

Hello,

Me and my friend Stephanie are looking to relocate to PR in July. We are in our early 20's and have a budget of 2000-2500 /month, apiece. We want to live on the beach in a nice condo, but we also want to be walking distance from stores and restaurants. The area's we are looking to live in are San Juan (Ocean Park-Condado area), Farjado (for sailing n island hopping), or Rincon (for surfing). We want to live in an area that is safe and has other americans to socialize with. We also need to have a fast internet connection to stream movies and video chat on skype. Any suggestions on where we should live or things you think we might need to know?

Thank you, and have a great day!

Jessica

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,104 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

Jessica PR is part of the US. Although under commonwealth status. They are citizens and "Americans". So you will have everyone to socialize with. San Juan is a city of well over a million people. Land is expensive, So will Condo's and apartments. Internet is not a problem. Cable and phone companies provide it. If you want to be on the beach and beable to walk to stores, then you are pretty much looking at San Juan.

Park City, Utah...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

Thank you sooooo much! Do you travel to Puerto Rico often?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,104 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

Many many times. Don't need a map most of the time anymore. Been a couple years though. It's a great place to visit. As far as you can get away from the US without actually leaving.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

Marcthegeekalso consider Ponce, PR its an amazing city, lots of social life during day and night. Yes there is beaches too and look up "La Guancha" one of the best and beautiful local in the marina with lots of pubs, restaurants, fun and music all along the boardwalk right next to the beach and downtown is very beautiful too. Lots of tourist go here. I lived there for at least 5 years and loved it.

Edited: 26 May 2012, 01:45
San Juan
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

Bob, the city of San Juan does not have well over a million people. In fact it's less than half of that. The entire metro area does but that includes quite a few towns that are no San Juan,

Anyway to the original poster, for everything you described Condado is the place by far. Not cheap but if you can afford it it has everything you said.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico is a latin american country no different from Chile or Costa Rica, spanish speaking with our 500 plus years of history makes us part of the latin american family of nations. Our present status with the US does not makes us ''americans'', we are still puerto rican and very proud, we have not lost our nationality since we are not annexated.

Edited: 27 May 2012, 23:56
7. Re: Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 00:05
Edited: 29 May 2012, 00:05
Miami, Florida
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

I do agree I consider myself puerto rican and then a 2nd class Us citizen. Puerto rico is The only non incorporated Us territory to have many autonomic powers and the only US territory that could break apart from the US using election power under a plebiscite that make us a very Puertorican territory.

Edited: 28 May 2012, 23:35
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,104 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

Population (2010)

Municipality : 395,326

Density : 5,138.8/sq mi (1,984.1/km2)

Urban : 381,931

Metro : 2,478,905

I apologize for not specifically stating that when I said San Juan I was not referring to the population within only the municipal boundaries of the incorporated city of San Juan, but referring to the Metro area. Coqui if you want to give up your US Citizenship, no one is stopping you. But whether you like it or not. Puerto Rican's are citizens of the United States of AMERICA. If you don't want to be American, that's your choice. Residents of Chili and Costa Rica are not. Besides most of South America speak a dialect of Portuguese.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 13:50
10. Re: Relocating from US to Puerto Rico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:40