We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't rent from Payless at San Juan Airport!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Don't rent from Payless at San Juan Airport!

I reserved a car from Payless Car Rental for pickup at the San Juan, Puerto Rico airport recently. After arriving the airport, my husband and I waited nearly a half hour for the car rental shuttle to show up. It did not show up until another couple called the local office – I was trying to, but my reservation did not include the number of the local office, and naturally I got nothing but recordings calling the main number. Apparently, the S.J. office does not bother sending the shuttle to the airport arrival area unless someone calls. Neither this useful bit of information nor the local office phone number were included on the printout of my car reservation.

Already hot and frustrated, we finally arrived at the Payless office some distance from the actual airport. But before we could drive off in the rental car, we were grilled by a staffer who demanded proof that I have car insurance and that it covers P.R. I showed him a card I carry in my wallet, but that was not good enough. He said he had to talk to the insurance company. He proceeded to dial and said his call did not go through. I called on my cell phone and was connected immediately. After my insurance agent confirmed the existence of my insurance policy and that it applies to P.R., the Payless employee proceeded to grill me with other questions, such as whether or not my husband and I are married. (We have been married since long before this employee was born!)

After at least a half hour, including an extremely thorough inspection of the car (a Kia), we were finally on our way. Unfortunately, the car ran so badly – brakes locking, vibrating at speeds over 50 mph, and other problems – we had to ditch our original plan to visit different parts of the island, including the mountains, on the way to and from Rincon.

This was my third trip to P.R. in the last four years, and before this trip, I had rented cars THREE TIMES in P.R. – in Carolina, Vieques, and Condado – and I have never before faced such intense questioning verging on harassment. Payless’s third degree, complete lack of regular shuttle service at the airport, at least one car that is very poorly maintained, and horrible location on Calle Marginal Los Angeles (which was nearly impossible to find when it finally was time to return the Kia) combined to make our vacation far less enjoyable than it would have or should have been. Needless to say, I will never rent from Payless again.

Edited: 27 May 2012, 03:18
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't rent from Payless at San Juan Airport!

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. This car rental company has numerous negative reviews here on TA, as do other car rental companies in San Juan. I strongly recommend reading the reviews before renting again.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't rent from Payless at San Juan Airport!

Yes I should have done that! I read the reviews for hotels, but not for car rental agencies, as my prior experiences with a wide variety of car rental agencies has been just fine. I guess there is a first time for everything!

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't rent from Payless at San Juan Airport!

I am sorry to hear about your experience. Many rental car companies is PR have atrocious service and this number of complaints received on this forum attest to that. There are a few good ones who you will find referenced in this forums posts as well.

This group of companies detract from the overall great experiences provided by most PR Tourist vendors. I suggest that you repost your review on The Puerto Rico Travel Company sight, which is the official Tourist Agency in PR. If they get enough complaints, they may start to put pressure on these providers to clean up their act. http://www.seepuertorico.com/contact-us

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't rent from Payless at San Juan Airport!

I am sorry you had such bad experience. Next time use Charlie in Isla Verde, they're great, never had a problem. But I must say, all Car rental will not pickup automaticly, you have to call them once you are ready to be picked up either at Airport or Hotel. They would loose too much time waiting around.

5. Re: Don't rent from Payless at San Juan Airport!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:42