We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble Deciding Where To Stay

earth
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Trouble Deciding Where To Stay

My husband and I will be in PR towards the end of the month. We will be there for 4 nights, arriving on a Sunday morning. We are a fairly active couple in our mid-20's and will be travelling without our children. I was looking at staying on Isla Verde (Intercontinental, El San Juan, or Water and Beach Club) but now I'm thinking maybe staying near Luquillo beach? We do want to check out Old San Juan for sure but we also want to hike through El Yunque, do a bio bay tour in Fajardo, relax on a nice beach, etc.

Would any of you have some suggestions on the best way to do this? Thanks so much in advance! I appreciate any input offered! :)

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble Deciding Where To Stay

I think you have to decide if you want a city like atmosphere and conveniences or a more rural atmosphere.

You will need a car if you stay in Luquillo to get to OSJ and some of the other beaches and places to eat.

In Isla Verde, you can walk or take the taxi or bus to get around in town, but will need a car for the El Yunque and biobay tours (unless you go with a tour group).

earth
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble Deciding Where To Stay

Thanks, I think I may be figuring this out. lol I do have a new question, actually:

Is it feasible to rent a car for one day, drive to El Yunque in the morning, maybe even visit Luquillo beach in the afternoon OR go to Guavate for lunch, and do the bio bay tour in Fajardo and drive back to our hotel afterwards?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble Deciding Where To Stay

Yup- totally doable, but it is a long day. Especially the Luquillo beach option.

Going to Guavate would be a bit out of the way since you have to go all around El Yunque to get there (about 1 hr away). But you can still do it.

earth
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble Deciding Where To Stay

Thanks so much! I think we'll skip guavate then.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
36 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trouble Deciding Where To Stay

My husband and I are in are 25 with no kids and active. We visited PR in March and absolutely loved it. We stayed in Luquillo at the Yunqe Mar hotel and loved it. Very basic and simple but great price, location and it worked great for us. It was near the rain forest and the beaches as well. It is not the same as a big resort, but exactly what we wanted! Have fun!

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trouble Deciding Where To Stay

We rented a condo in Luquillo in the Playa Azul complex. It was fabulous! The beach in Luquillo (Balneario Montserrate) is amazing. We went there several times. We also did a bio bay tour and snorkeling from Fajardo. Plus El Yunque. We spent 1 day in San Juan and it was enough. If you stay in SJ, stay in Old San Juan. It is worth the cost. The El San Juan is nice but far from it and it's easier to just walk from your hotel in OSJ. It's also expensive to take cabs.

7. Re: Trouble Deciding Where To Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:41