We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Far from Beaches and Crowds

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
161 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Far from Beaches and Crowds

Are there still any places in PR not soaked with tourists and cruise ship noise?

Having a full week on the island, I'd love to see how real PR looks like. I thought taking the scenic route through the heart of the island would give me this opportunity. Am I on the right track here? If so, would you recommend any specific town/village?

Thank you!

m

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Far from Beaches and Crowds

Hi, Maciejz! We didn't stay inland away from beaches but enjoyed a very laid back and nontouristy area on the south coast in Guanica. You could drive from San Juan straight down through country seeing inland or around the coast to the south. The beaches are very sparse with people in December when we went. If you plan it, you could stay a couple of days inland and then head south. Have fun!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Far from Beaches and Crowds

Vieques Island or travel the panoramic route in the central mountain range.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,024 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Far from Beaches and Crowds

There are Paradors scattered aroung the island, Some up in the mountains. Check them out.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Far from Beaches and Crowds

I think you only have to walk from Condado to Santurce.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Far from Beaches and Crowds

I would go to Utuado. Stay in Casa Grande Mountain Retreat in Utuado, visit Cueva Ventana (Window Cave) and Lago Dos Bocas (Dos Bocas Lake). In Lago dos Bocas there are various very cute lakeside restaurants which have their own boat that picks up customers at the dock and takes them them to their restaurant. These restaurants I believe are only open on weekends, but you could check.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Far from Beaches and Crowds

I like Utuado also Jayuya and Adjuntas area. Lots to do/see in those areas. But it also check out Barranquitas area (San Cristobal canyon) and Juana Diaz area for Toro Negro forest.

On the east side, stay on S191 to see the less traveled back side of El Yunque.

I would not stay away from the coasts , there are so many great uncrowded beaches/coastlines. And in late November, there will be very few tourists around most anywhere.

Some of my favorite coasts (just due to activities in the area besides beaches) La Parguera, Guanica, Salinas, and Arecibo and of course Vieques and Culebra for beaches/snorkeling.

To avoid crowds, just avoid San Juan, Old San Juan, Caguas, Luquillo's Monserrate balneario/kiosks, El Yunque's La MIna Falls, the snorkel trips from Fajardo, the Fajardo biobay. But locals make up crowds too, so avoiding all crowds, you miss some great places and opportunities.

Going to Guavate on a weekend is local but crowded. But avoiding traffic has its merits too!

7. Re: Far from Beaches and Crowds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 06:16