We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Juan+Aracebo+Utuado in 1 day

chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
San Juan+Aracebo+Utuado in 1 day

Hello,please advice: we have 1 full day and a rental car.Is it duable? drive from san Juan to aracebo,see the telescope and head to Utuado.Do some hicking and come back to San Juan same day/night.

thanks!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Juan+Aracebo+Utuado in 1 day

Yes, it is doable.

But what hiking are you doing in Utuado? The Rio Abajo forest has been left to go wild (or had when I visited last year). One person at the office stating nothing was open. Even the trails off the camping area were washed out.

Maybe someone knows if it has gotten $$ invested to clean it up again?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Juan+Aracebo+Utuado in 1 day

Why not hit the Rio Cumay cave park with up in the area. The drie through the Karst region in itself is great.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Juan+Aracebo+Utuado in 1 day

Flower is right. Do you have a wish to visit the sister city of Vineland, NJ?

Bob is also right.

Karst area is great. And I think most would agree if you do the hike up to the telescope, you will not want any more hiking.

Lake dos bocas is in the same area, you can see the dam, the hydro station, and cross the lake by boat to a nice restaurant to have lunch.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Juan+Aracebo+Utuado in 1 day

I am interested in hiking and doing some easy cave exploration in Bosque Estatal de Rio Abajo. The website EyeTour represened the park as accessible for these purposes. Does anyone have information whether this is true or not, and is relatively easy. I will want to bring my children.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Juan+Aracebo+Utuado in 1 day

I am interested in hiking and doing some simple cave exploration in Bosque Estatal de Rio Abajo. The website EyeTour represented the park as accessible for these purposes. Does anyone have any information whether these type of activities are doable, specially with kids?

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Juan+Aracebo+Utuado in 1 day

As an alternative you can hike in the Guajataca state forest which has lots of trails. It's not too far away.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Juan+Aracebo+Utuado in 1 day

in my opinion, it is do-able. though i guess it depends on the time you have. what do you consider a "full day"?

some friends and I drove from fajardo to lake dos bocas for lunch then on the cava de ventana. and back to fajardo with a stop in a big shopping center added in, then back to Vieques all in one day, i think from San Juan it will be easier,

so be well planned, time it correctly and you should be ok.

8. Re: San Juan+Aracebo+Utuado in 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 05:17