We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper clothing for PR - mosquitos, etc just in El Yunque?

Petaluma
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Proper clothing for PR - mosquitos, etc just in El Yunque?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Puerto Rico soon and I was wondering just how prevalent and how much of a concern mosquitos are. I'm a short and t-shirt guy pretty much year round but when we spent a week in Costa Rica a couple years ago it was mainly light, long sleeve shirts and lightweight convertible pants (convert from pants to shorts easily). From what I read Dengue Fever can be a concern in PR and Im wondering if I should expect to be wearing pants and long sleeves all the time or just in a place like El Yunque?

Thanks in adavnce

Petaluma
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Proper clothing for PR - mosquitos, etc just in El Yunque?

Oops, I accidentally submitted this post when I was editing it, not finished. I meant to type that we are leaving for Puerto Rico soon (not planning to leave) - on the 13th of this month in fact. Aside from clothing questions I was also wondering how the weather has been. Every time I check weather pages for updates they show multiple days of thunderstorms in a row, but I have also read that those reports don't show the true picture as those rains are usually powerufl but short - is this true? We have snorkeling and kayaking trips planned and would reealy hate to have them cancelled due to inclement weather.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Proper clothing for PR - mosquitos, etc just in El Yunque?

Don't worry about the weather reports unless there is a tropical weather system in the area.

Shorts and short sleeves are fine, even in El Yunque. Mosquitoes like standing water. Most water in the rain forest is flowing. Pack a bottle of OFF for your daypack just in case.

Dengue is an issue in most tropical locations. PR is no exception, and there is the possibility that you will be the unlucky person to get it. But the number of Dengue cases this year has been low, due to the fact that we have had an unusually dry year so far.

San Juan
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Proper clothing for PR - mosquitos, etc just in El Yunque?

I wear shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt most of the time during the day and I’ve never gotten dengue. Mosquitos aren’t really on my mind nor are they in the everyday lives of everyone I know.

As for the weather it’s mostly been fine recently and as mentioned if it rains it’s only for a short while and it ends quickly.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proper clothing for PR - mosquitos, etc just in El Yunque?

If your checking the luggage you can pack it but they won't allow a spray or liquid in carry on. If that is the case you might just hit a drug store once you are there.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proper clothing for PR - mosquitos, etc just in El Yunque?

Mosquitos usually bite after 4 pm. For the Bio Bay you will need some Deet, because you are going through areas that has water standing. The Kayak Companies usually have it in case you forget.

Petaluma
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Proper clothing for PR - mosquitos, etc just in El Yunque?

Thanks a bunch for all the info. I'm thrilled to not halve to run out and buy clothes that I'd rarely wear outside of this trip. Of course, I realized this morning I have no raingear beyond hooded sweatshirts and a jacket made of material that would retain water like nothing and take forever to dry. When we went to Costa Rica we spent some decent money on lightweight water repellant jackets that could fold up into almost nothing but they proved to not be very water repellant at all and we have trashed them since then. Any suggestions on rainwear - I fear showing up to El Yunque with nothing but my shorts and t-shirt may not be the smartest plan...

Thanks again for all the info. We're sooo excited to visit Puerto Rico in a week!

7. Re: Proper clothing for PR - mosquitos, etc just in El Yunque?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 00:18