We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental advice/help

Minneapolis...
14 posts
Save Topic
car rental advice/help

Would love some suggestions on maneuvering our car rental during our stay and doing this as economical as possible.

We are a party of 4 arriving in SJU in Feb. We plan on hiring a car at the airport and taking it to the apartment we are renting in Fajardo for our week stay to explore the island with that car.

Then, we next head over to Vieques for another week stay. We are renting another car when we arrive. That seems rather straight forward.

My question pertains to the first car we rent. Where or how do we return it? Do we return it to the airport and then take a taxi back to Fajardo for the ferry? How much does that cost? Is there a closer rental return?

Then, once we are back from Vieques how do we get to the airport the most inexpensive way?

TIA

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental advice/help

There is an Enterprise location at the El Con hotel in Fajardo. Call the Enterprise location at the airport and ask if you can drop at El Con without an extra fee. (Not a sure bet with Enterprise) but worth a try.

pa
Level Contributor
824 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental advice/help

Check the price of the car rental for the week and figure $8.50 a day for parking the airport and see if the price is cheaper or the same as paying for taxi down to Fajardo and back. I've seen people say it cost $80 one way so if it's $160 it may be just as easy to keep the car and it's there when you get back with no waiting for anyone to show up. Just a thought.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental advice/help

when you say "hiring" a car, you mean you will rent a car? usually that implies hiring a driver and his vehicle to drive you.

I will assume you mean you will rent a vehicle.

I believe Thrifty rents in San Juan and you can drop the car off at their office at the marina in Fajardo. they will then take you to the airport. Same with AVIS. Avis charges 11percent and thrifty charges $45(or something like that). What Im not sure about, and what I would call avis about is, do they charge the fee on the whole bill or one day. it should be only one day but not sure of their policy. If it is that they charge 11 percent of the whole bill, it would be cheaper to rent from thrifty. call both companies. the other good thng about using thrifty this way is you can use priceline to get the best thrifty price since they dont require you to declare the drop off when you make your reservation. So, rent a car at SJU and drop it off in Ceiba or Fajardo depending on the ferry or flight. or ofcourse you can take a $90 cab to Fajardo to pick up a rental there. which may be worth it depending on what time you arrive.

as for retuning, you can fly from Vieques to San Juan via Isla Grande Airport. from there it is a $25 cab ride to the main airport. zthe tickets to there are $72 each. If you fly directly to SJU it is $102 to $122. my suggestion is to hire a private driver to take you to SJU from either the ferry or airport. it is about 490 with tip. If you wanted to visit somewhere on the way back, the driver usually will stop without a problem. I reccomend John at Johnspublico@yahoo.com. getting a ride back is very stress free. you get in and you get out. no worries about dropping off or getting gas or any of that.the only thing easier is flying into San Juan. But it all depends on the timing. if flying into san juan is going to have you sitting in the airport for 90 or more minutes, why not take the car service. its scenic and you will save anywhere from $175 to $390(vs. flying), plus you can stop somewhere for food or souvenirs or shopping if you have the time.

Edited: 15 October 2012, 03:13
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental advice/help

sorry, it is supposed to read about $90 not 490 to take a private driver from fajardo/ceiba to sju

Minneapollis
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental advice/help

yes, rental car. In our other travels I've used the term rental car only to be told car for hire. When in Rome! Car rental it is

Minneapollis
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental advice/help

it seems that the flight out of SJU for 2 in our party is at 11 a.m. is this cutting it short if we try and get the 6:30 ferry out? Hire a driver to take us from the ferry to the airport?

Ligonier...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental advice/help

Personally, I would highly recommend Enterprise. If you keep watching the rates you can get a great deal. We were there from 10/5-10/15 and it was $99 and change for a compact with unlimited mileage and no security deposit. Great service too.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental advice/help

"Car for hire" term is used in Europe for Car Rental.

I thing when trying to figure out which way to go budget wise, I wold also consider lost vacation time for travel.

9. Re: car rental advice/help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 10:17