We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting Jeeps in PR?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Renting Jeeps in PR?

So I been doing some research, and i'm noticing a lot of car sites have great deals... and then when I look at the Jeeps, and i'm like, "OUCH." Why are Jeeps so expensive to rent on the island?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,976 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting Jeeps in PR?

Because they are fun. You don't really need a jeep to drive around, you would only rent one for the fun factor. Like renting a convertible. So you have to pay a premium for that.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting Jeeps in PR?

And I completely understand that, I just found that premium was wildly priced, but as you say, if I want it, i'd have to pay. It almost made me believe that I would HAVE to have a Jeep or else I would otherwise be denied experiencing as much as i'd like.

Any recommendations for me? Yes, I am still interested in a Jeep!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,976 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting Jeeps in PR?

You don't need a jeep at all. Most of us do without them. You can have the same experiences on any car. My advice would be to get a regular rental if you want to save money.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting Jeeps in PR?

Avis has a large supply of Jeeps. They are full sized 4 door and the premium is not out of line.

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting Jeeps in PR?

Have a look at Charlie Car Rental:

http://www.charliecars.com/

They beat and or meet most car rental companies. Local and great service.

Hope this helps.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting Jeeps in PR?

Rental car companies will state that you are not supposed to go offroad with any vehicle. You are supposed to stick to the paved roads. Although I have done just that along 187 and parked offroad at some of the secluded beaches. Most everywhere you go on the main island will be paved. It's the outer islands of Culebra and Vieques, that have the dirt roads.

7. Re: Renting Jeeps in PR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 10:16