We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Yunque day trip suggestions

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
El Yunque day trip suggestions

Looking at doing a day trip to El Yunque with my wife and daughters (8 & 10). Anybody with input on what to see/not see while there? We'd like to explore it on our own if possible. Is it worth spending a whole day here or should I combine this with another adventure?

Mentioned in this post
pa
Level Contributor
943 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Yunque day trip suggestions

Depends how active and adventurous you are! My husband spend 3 and 1/2 hrs hiking to the 2 highest peaks a great view and workout at the same time! We could have hiked alot more but ran out of time as we were leaving for a cruise that evening.We had a rental car so it was nice to just drive to a trail and start hiking!

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Yunque day trip suggestions

Hiking El Yunque in the morning and relaxing on very nearby Luquillo Beach a.k.a. Monserrate Balneario in the afternoon with dinner at the Kioskos (which are in-between) makes for a perfect day in the area. Easily, and in my opinion better, done independently.

For the forest, stop at the visitors center and the rangers will advise trails to meet you time and difficulty preferences.

For the beach, make sure you go all the way to the paid ~$4 parking lot and not the area behind the Kiskos, which is not maintained as part of the blue flag beach.

Mentioned in this post
Luquillo Beach
Luquillo Beach
982 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Balneario Luquillo
Balneario Luquillo
360 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Yunque day trip suggestions

Different view. We like to hit the beach in the morning, when it is uncrowded. Then when it heats up in the afternoon, head for the coolness of the rain forest. Yes the trails are more crowded, but it is nice and cool.

4. Re: El Yunque day trip suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 21:17